Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is Pendellosung

1. Jun 10, 2004 #1
    Hi All,
    Doing an experiment at uni on TEM,
    I need to know what Pendellosung is.
    I suspect either it is some sort of crystal defect or
    it is related to Laue condition and Ewald sphere, but these are only guesses.
    I really don't know.

Please help
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Can't tell you what it means physically, but the word "Pendellösung" is German and means "pendulum solution"
    Does that help?
  4. Jun 10, 2004 #3
    well if that is the case then I suppose that my first thought that it was related to the Ewald sphere is correct.???

Is it all related to the rings of higher intensity diffraction from higher order Laue zones, which you observe on TEM when looking at diffraction pattern.

From your post I was not sure wheather you knew the answer (and were nudging me in the correct direction) or you were yourself guessing.
  5. Jun 10, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I don't know a thing about the physics here, ONLY the meaning of the German word.
    I only hoped that by clarifying the meaning of the WORD, you would know the meaning of the PHYSICS
  6. Jun 10, 2004 #5
    That's cool
    still stuck.
    Damn physics assignments
  7. Jun 11, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I recall something about Pendellosung fringes when I was doing a course in X-ray diffraction. I think you can use spherical waves to determine the structure factor in a wedge shaped single crystal.

Perhaps the same idea works for TEM too. So I too would guess that it is related to Laue diffraction.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?