Understanding Pressure in Quantum Mechanics: Energy, Momentum, and Flux

In summary, pressure is defined as the momentum flux exerted on an object. It is different in the classical vs. quantum cases.
Dmitry67
In Stress Energy Tensor the following components make sense to me:

Energy density,
Momentum Density,
Energy flux

because they are based on the 'observables'

Whats about the Pressure? What is it (microscopically)?
On the microscopic level there are 'particles' flying in different directions.
Take one example: photon gas. I don't see any 'pressure'. I just see photons flying around...

Physics news on Phys.org
Why should it be any different than the classical case?
In the classical case, you still have particles flying around, and pressure is the force per unit surface that acts on an 'item' that you put in the gas.
Same should be in the quantum case, its just that now the interactions between the gas and the 'item' will be of quantum nature.

Dmitry67 said:
In Stress Energy Tensor the following components make sense to me:

Energy density,
Momentum Density,
Energy flux

Pressure = momentum flux

All the stuff you mention is part of the energy-momentum tensor, which figures in every relativistic quantum field theory.

Thank you!
I had a mental block thinking about pressure as 'Force' aapplied to some surface.
You had resolved it.

But momentum flux is the definition of 'Force', what's wrong with that picture?

JK423 said:
But momentum flux is the definition of 'Force', what's wrong with that picture?

Not quite. Force is usually considered to be a vector, while momentum flux is a tensor. And pressure is either identified with the momentum flux tensor, or with 1/3 of its trace. Thus it is a tensor or a scalar, but not a vector.

I don't understand the assertion:
Dmitry67 said:
On the microscopic level there are 'particles' flying in different directions.
Take one example: photon gas. I don't see any 'pressure'. I just see photons flying around...
Even in the classical case the gas particles are free and just flying around. In my understanding, pressure has a meaning only if you have the gas interacting with something else. This view is wrong?

JK423 said:
Even in the classical case the gas particles are free and just flying around. In my understanding, pressure has a meaning only if you have the gas interacting with something else. This view is wrong?

Pressure is what you _would_ measure if you would put an obstacle in the way. Just as temperature is what you would measure if you would put a thermometer in the way.

You don't need to _actually_ measure to talk about pressure or temperature.

Yes ok i got it, i mean the same thing. I just wanted to show that a quantum gas doesn't differ from a classical one when you're trying to define the notion of pressure.

1. What is pressure in quantum mechanics?

Pressure in quantum mechanics refers to the force per unit area that is exerted by a particle or system of particles. In other words, it is the amount of energy or momentum passing through a given area in a quantum system.

2. How is pressure related to energy and momentum in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, pressure is related to energy and momentum through the uncertainty principle. This principle states that the more precisely we know the momentum of a particle, the less we know about its position, and vice versa. Therefore, in a quantum system, the pressure is a measure of the uncertainty in the momentum of the particles.

3. What is the role of flux in understanding pressure in quantum mechanics?

Flux is the rate of flow of energy or momentum through a surface. In quantum mechanics, the flux is directly related to the pressure, as it measures the amount of energy or momentum passing through a given area. Therefore, understanding the concept of flux is crucial in understanding pressure in quantum mechanics.

4. How does pressure affect the behavior of particles in a quantum system?

The pressure in a quantum system affects the behavior of particles by determining their momentum and energy. The higher the pressure, the more uncertain the momentum of the particles, which can lead to a wider range of possible behaviors and outcomes.

5. How is pressure measured in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, pressure is measured using various mathematical equations and principles, such as the uncertainty principle and the Schrödinger equation. These equations can provide insights into the behavior of particles and the amount of pressure they exert in a quantum system.