Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is saturation in terms of wavelength?

1. Jun 21, 2015 #1
    could it be possible, to make a, for example, and lens that has a special texture, or colour and putting it on would make the pictures more saturated?
    or maybe make a pair of glasses for people who can't produce as much cones as others?

my questions is cuz i can't really think of it, but what is colour saturation in terms of wavelengths, and is there a way to increase it in real life

no monitors or anything electronic(electric is fine), just physics
    i'm interested

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2015 #2
    You would need a material which can amplify the intensity of light while it is passing through the material, before the light travels onward to be received by the eye.
    A fascinating idea, but I think highly improbable material.
    It would need to be supplied with an external power source since it is effectively acting as a power amplifier.

4. Jun 21, 2015 #3
    i have thought of that, and therefore i said "not electronic (but electric is fine)" but, i thought increasing the intensity of the light just changes the brightness of the image....

and that just makes everything look whiter, which is an opposite to increasing the saturation...

5. Jun 21, 2015 #4
    More light intensity equally across the spectrum would certainly result in the perception of everything seeming brighter.
    However, the light at every wavelength would still be proportionally the same as before going through the device.
    Red objects still would still be seen as red, and distinct from blue objects, though both red and blue objects would appear brighter.
    Increased brightness would not result in both red and blue objects tending to become white, that would require additional wavelengths being mixed in to the original light.

6. Jun 21, 2015 #5
    I think you would need to obtain separate RGB pictures first, then create a luminance signal by adding them in fixed proportions. Then to increase saturation, this luminance signal must be subtracted from the original image, presumably by out-phasing. Subtracting images used to be done in photography by placing a negative over a positive, and enabled image processing, such as edge crispening, to be obtained. So you could perhaps place a weak black and white negative over a full colour positive.

7. Jun 21, 2015 #6
    actually, the reason i wanted to ask, was to see if "saturationg contacts/glasses" would exist in the world, where you wear them, and things are simply more saturated, and look better

8. Jun 21, 2015 #7
    So everything looks like the photos in glossy celebrity gossip magazines.
    Think I'll pass on that one.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  9. Jun 21, 2015 #8
    as in, there are places in the world that are most of the time having overcast (namingly england), and as such, it's all gloomy, colours are tony grey, psychologically bad, so, here we add some lens, and it cheers you up

or just plain, easier version of dark vision, turn up the saturation

10. Jun 21, 2015 #9
    Or move to Portugal.

11. Jun 21, 2015 #10

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

that's a nice contradiction ..... by definition anything electronic = electric

12. Jun 22, 2015 #11
    Come to think of it, I think I remember reading about some kind of specs that had this kind of physiological effect. But I can't remember what it was called, or where I found it. I don't think it actually made colors more saturated. Just felt that way, for some colors.

13. Jun 22, 2015 #12
    I like weed too, but it's not this is not that kind of forum.

14. Jun 22, 2015 #13
    electronic is more of a sub-set of electric things,

ie, a solenoid is electric, but it is not electronic, but a IC controlled oscillation electromagnet is electronic
    you get it? electronic=electric, but electric not equals to electronic

15. Jun 22, 2015 #14

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

its an electronic device !!

stop fooling yourself and be prepared to learn some real information
    There's a lot of outstanding guys on this forum that have been at electronics for many years

listen to them and learn some real world stuff

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook