Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is Specific Volume?

1. Jan 1, 2009 #1
    Hi, everyone

Since specific Volume is 1/density, How come this web can provide a decreasing Specific Volume of Air when the temperature increase?

Thanks for your help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2009 #2
    Ideal gas law

P = density*R*Temperature

I'm assuming Pressure is kept as a constant value.
  4. Jan 2, 2009 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Su Solberg: vr = relative specific volume = v/vo, and applies only to isentropic (constant entropy) processes for an ideal gas, where v = specific volume = 1/rho, and vo = specific volume at a zero reference level for enthalpy and internal energy. The zero reference level for enthalpy and internal energy is typically taken at 0 K and 1 atm (absolute). I do not fully understand vo, nor my above description of vo, so hopefully someone else can explain vo better.

However, the vr column of the table you cited is grossly incorrect. Please use another source, not the erroneous web page cited. Furthermore, that web page nebulously does not state its zero reference level.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?