postfan said:
Ok since I wasn't given a mu I just let mu=tan(alpha)
You don't need (mu) the coefficient of friction. When rolling, the contact point of the sphere is stationary (the instantaneous velocity of the contact point is zero) therefore the friction is
static friction. When the force of friction is static, the equation [itex]F_f=\mu F_N[/itex] only represents the maximum force of friction possible. The actual force of friction could be anything below that. (That is why I said in my other post, assume the coefficient of static friction is "large enough").
So whenever you need the force of friction, just call it F
f (or something) don't even bother with the normal force.
postfan said:
2Mgsin(alpha)-2Mgcos(alpha)tan(alpha)=ma
Rewrite it with an unknown force of friction F
f
postfan said:
ONow for torque:
2*M*gcos(alpha)*h/sin(alpha)=2/3MR^2*angularacceleration
It looks like you used conservation of energy
The force of friction provides a torque on the ball right? You can write the torque using the unknown force of friction F
f
Then you will need to divide the torque by the rotational inertia (but be careful! remember page 1 of this thread) and that will give you the angular acceleration.
Then you can finally use the equation "angular acceleration = translational acceleration divided by R"I should go to sleep now
