What is the Acceleration of a Spherical Shell Filled with Fluid on an Incline?

In summary, A spherical shell filled with a frictionless fluid of equal mass is released from rest on an incline and rolls without slipping down the incline. The acceleration of the shell down the incline just after it is released is given by the equation a = 3/5*g*sin θ, where g is the acceleration of free fall and θ is the angle of the incline with the horizontal. This can be derived by considering the differences in density and inertia between a fluid filled sphere and a solid sphere. The fluid inside the sphere will rotate slightly relative to the room, but the faster the sphere moves, the less the fluid rotates due to the reduction of friction. Ultimately, the fluid will not rotate at all if it were
Is that right ?

Physics news on Phys.org
postfan said:
Ok so 2*M*g*sin(alpha)-F_f=2M*a for forces
and F_f*R=(2/3)*M*R^2*angularacceleration for torque

How's that?
It looks right. Then solve the second equation for the angular acceleration and multiply both sides by R and then plug that expression in for a (because Rα=a like we said) then you can solve for Ff and then you can put Ff back into the original linear acceleration equation to get the answer.

About your earlier question of why friction is necessary: If you placed the ball from rest on a frictionless ramp it would just slide down the ramp without rotating (there would be no torque).

So I did that and got a=3/4gsin(alpha). Is that right?

postfan said:
So I did that and got a=3/4gsin(alpha). Is that right?
Yes

Cool thanks for the help and staying up with me last night (till 4:30!).

Also did they just give you the moment of inertia for a solid sphere just to trick you?

postfan said:
Also did they just give you the moment of inertia for a solid sphere just to trick you?
Well, I can't get inside the mind of the test-makers, but if you're asking if that piece of information was irrelevant, then yes, it was irrelevant.

postfan said:
did they just give you the moment of inertia for a solid sphere just to trick you?
Had they given you all the formulae except that one it would have been rather a strong clue.