What is the Angular Speed of a Rotating Object with Varying Inertia?

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the angular speed of a rotating object consisting of a 3.0 kg vertical rod and a 4.0 kg rectangle attached to the top. Using the energy equation and the parallel axis theorem, the angular speed is calculated to be 6.25 rad/s. There is a discussion about the effective mass of the rod and the height used in the energy equation, which is eventually resolved.
Jax24
1. A 3.0 kg vertical rod has a length of 80 cm. A 4.0 kg rectangle attached to the top of the rod has negligible dimensions. The entire object rotates counterclockwise about the bottom of the rod. Determine the angular speed of the apparatus at the instant the rod is horizontal.

2. Using energy --> mgh = .5Iωω --> ω= √(2mgh/I)3. I tried to use the parallel axis theorem to solve for I. I got 1.28. This would give me ω=√(2*7*9.8*.8/1.28) = 6.25 rad/s. I have used I= (1/12)(3)(.8*.8) + (3)(.4*.4) + (4)(.4*.4) plus several different variations.

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-8_20-33-54.png
    upload_2017-3-8_20-33-54.png
    108 bytes · Views: 392
  • upload_2017-3-8_20-35-17.png
    upload_2017-3-8_20-35-17.png
    108 bytes · Views: 360
Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the effective mass of the rod? How far does it fall?

I think I have I have it figured out - I needed to use the center of gravity for my height in the mgh part of the problem --> so h = .625m not .4m, which is what I was doing before. Thanks!

Are you sure it's 0.625 m?

What is Moment of Inertia?

Moment of Inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by taking into account the mass and distribution of the object's mass around its axis of rotation.

How is Moment of Inertia related to Kinetic Energy?

Moment of Inertia is directly related to an object's Kinetic Energy. As the Moment of Inertia increases, so does the object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. This results in a decrease in the object's Kinetic Energy.

How do you calculate Moment of Inertia?

Moment of Inertia is calculated by using the equation I = ∫r²dm, where I is the moment of inertia, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and dm is the differential mass element.

What factors affect the Moment of Inertia of an object?

The Moment of Inertia of an object is affected by its mass, distribution of mass, and the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation. Objects with more mass, a larger distribution of mass, and a farther distance from the axis of rotation will have a higher Moment of Inertia.

How does Moment of Inertia affect the stability of an object?

Objects with a higher Moment of Inertia are more stable and less likely to tip over or rotate. This is because they have a greater resistance to changes in their rotational motion, making it more difficult to alter their position. This is why objects with a low Moment of Inertia, such as a pencil, are easier to move and tip over compared to objects with a higher Moment of Inertia, such as a book.