What is the Average Speed Computation Problem on a Hill?

In summary, the provided link does not work because the attempt at a solution does not justify not just adding the to velocities and dividing by two.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

The problem is in the provided link (it is questions 2.2) http://www.docstoc.com/docs/3817109/Chapter-Problems-A-car-travels-up-a-hill-at-a

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the duration of time it takes to go up the hill is a larger time interval than going down; but I fail to see that fact as a viable way to justify not just simply adding the to velocities and dividing by two. Could someone please understand this part to me, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

The problem is in the provided link (it is questions 2.2) http://www.docstoc.com/docs/3817109/Chapter-Problems-A-car-travels-up-a-hill-at-a

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the duration of time it takes to go up the hill is a larger time interval than going down; but I fail to see that fact as a viable way to justify not just simply adding the to velocities and dividing by two. Could someone please understand this part to me, thank you.

Average speed is total distance / total time. The length of the hill enables us to calculate the time for the trip - and has no other application.

Perhaps an example is easier explanation.

Suppose the hill is 10 km long, and you travel up at 10 km/h and down and 30 km/h

You are tending to an answer of 20 km/h for the average speed.

The total trip (up then down) is 20km. At 20 km/h that would take 1 hour

HOWEVER: If traveling at 10km/h on the way up, it takes 1 hour to get up the hill, so it is impossible to get up and down in 1 hour - so to simply add the velocities and divide by 2 doesn't work.

The simple average only applies if you travel at different speeds for equal times.

40 kph for 1 hour then 60 kph for 1 hour means an average speed of 50 kph
Note that you covered 40 km in the first hour then 60 km in the second hour - so it can't have represented a trip in opposite directions along the same piece of road.

That was bloody brilliant, thank you so very much for taking your time to answer my question.

Related to What is the Average Speed Computation Problem on a Hill?

1. What is average speed computation?

Average speed computation is a mathematical calculation that determines the average rate at which an object moves over a certain distance in a given amount of time. It is usually expressed in units of distance per time, such as miles per hour or meters per second.

2. How is average speed computed?

Average speed is computed by dividing the total distance traveled by an object by the total time it took to travel that distance. The formula for average speed is: average speed = total distance / total time.

3. What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed?

Average speed is the overall rate of motion of an object, while instantaneous speed is the speed of an object at a specific moment in time. In other words, average speed gives an overall picture of how fast an object is moving, while instantaneous speed gives information about its speed at a particular point.

4. Can average speed be negative?

Yes, average speed can be negative if an object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial direction of motion. For example, if a car travels 100 miles east in 2 hours, and then travels 50 miles west in 1 hour, its average speed would be -50 miles per hour.

5. What are some real-life applications of average speed computation?

Average speed computation is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and transportation. It is used to calculate the average speed of moving objects, such as vehicles, athletes, and airplanes. It is also used to analyze the efficiency of different modes of transportation and to predict travel times. Additionally, average speed computation is useful in determining the velocity of chemical reactions in chemistry experiments.