What is the Best Book for Fluid Mechanics from Beginning to Advanced Level?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 7K views
prashant singh
Messages
56
Reaction score
2
which is better fluid mechanics book , frank white or munson from complete beginning to the advanced level.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
They're both pretty widely used. It really comes down to personal taste. Neither will go to "advanced" levels in any depth, though. They will give you a bit of a taste of advanced topics but things like turbulence and compressible flows and stability theory and other such things warrant their own more advanced texts.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: mechpeac and prashant singh
They are both good. I think I prefer Munson, but I have used both.
 
My personal favorite is Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot. This book also has sections on heat transfer and mass transfer.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: MexChemE
Grangers book I think is the best for an undergraduate. It is an old book but does a phenomenal job explaining things both mathematically and practically. I used this book in my grad fluids class as a secondary reference and in undergrad as a primary reference. I think most advanced general fluids books are crap - you are way better off buying books on specific topics (such as boundary layer flows, turbulence, microfluidics, etc) than something like White, Kundu, or Panton (a disgrace to fluids books).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: prashant singh