What is the Best Book for Fluid Mechanics from Beginning to Advanced Level?

In summary, both Frank White and Munson are widely used books for fluid mechanics, but it ultimately depends on personal preference. However, neither book goes into advanced topics in depth. For a more advanced understanding of fluid mechanics, textbooks on specific topics such as turbulence, compressible flows, and stability theory may be more beneficial. Some recommended books include Pozrikidis, Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot, Landau and Lifshtitz's Hydrodynamics, and Granger's book for undergraduate studies. It is suggested to avoid advanced general fluids books and focus on specific topics for a more thorough understanding.
prashant singh
which is better fluid mechanics book , frank white or munson from complete beginning to the advanced level.

Physics news on Phys.org
They're both pretty widely used. It really comes down to personal taste. Neither will go to "advanced" levels in any depth, though. They will give you a bit of a taste of advanced topics but things like turbulence and compressible flows and stability theory and other such things warrant their own more advanced texts.

Likes mechpeac and prashant singh
They are both good. I think I prefer Munson, but I have used both.

My personal favorite is Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot. This book also has sections on heat transfer and mass transfer.

Likes MexChemE
Landau, Lifshtitz vol. VI is also a very good intro to hydrodynamics.

Grangers book I think is the best for an undergraduate. It is an old book but does a phenomenal job explaining things both mathematically and practically. I used this book in my grad fluids class as a secondary reference and in undergrad as a primary reference. I think most advanced general fluids books are crap - you are way better off buying books on specific topics (such as boundary layer flows, turbulence, microfluidics, etc) than something like White, Kundu, or Panton (a disgrace to fluids books).

Likes prashant singh

Related to What is the Best Book for Fluid Mechanics from Beginning to Advanced Level?

1. What is the best book on fluid mechanics for beginners?

The best book on fluid mechanics for beginners would be "Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics" by Bruce R. Munson, Donald F. Young, and Theodore H. Okiishi. This book provides a clear and comprehensive introduction to the basics of fluid mechanics, making it easy for beginners to understand.

2. What is the most comprehensive book on fluid mechanics?

The most comprehensive book on fluid mechanics is "Fluid Mechanics" by Frank M. White. This book covers all aspects of fluid mechanics in-depth and is commonly used as a textbook in university courses. It also includes numerous examples and practice problems for a thorough understanding of the subject.

3. Is there a book on fluid mechanics that focuses on real-world applications?

Yes, "Applied Fluid Mechanics" by Robert L. Mott and Joseph A. Untener is a great book that focuses on the practical applications of fluid mechanics in engineering. It covers topics such as pipes, pumps, and open-channel flow, making it a valuable resource for professionals and students alike.

4. What is the best book on computational fluid mechanics?

The best book on computational fluid mechanics is "Computational Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer" by John C. Tannehill, Dale A. Anderson, and Richard H. Pletcher. This book provides a comprehensive overview of the numerical methods used in computational fluid dynamics, along with practical applications and examples.

5. Are there any books on fluid mechanics that are suitable for self-study?

Yes, "Fluid Mechanics: A Short Course for Physicists" by Gregory Falkovich is a great book for self-study. It presents the subject in a concise and accessible manner, with a focus on the physical principles and mathematical equations behind fluid mechanics. It also includes exercises and problems for self-assessment and practice.