What Is the Best Method to Integrate dx/(x*sqrt(9+16x^2))?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cal.queen92
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integrating
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
cal.queen92
Messages
43
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement




indefinite integral: dx/(x*sqrt(9+16x^2))


Homework Equations



Trig. Substitutions or parts??

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried using integration by parts but its got pretty messy...it also resembles a tan trig substitution, but it's within a square root. I'm stumped and can't figure out where to start...

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't use integration by parts. Rewrite the problem as
[tex]\int\frac{xdx}{x^2\sqrt{9+ 16x^2}}[/tex]
and let [itex]u= 9+ 16x^2[/itex].
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Factor a 3 out of [itex]\sqrt{9 +16x^2}[/itex]

[tex]\displaystyle \sqrt{9 +16x^2}=\sqrt{9\left(1+\frac{16x^2}{9}\right)}=3 \sqrt{1+\frac{16x^2}{9}}=3 \sqrt{1+\left( \frac{4x}{3} \right)^2 }[/tex]

We know that 1+tan2(θ) = sec2(θ) , so let 4x/3 = tan(θ), (4/3)dx = sec2(θ)dθ.

(I'm slow at typing, so HallsofIvy responded while I was typing. He usually has better ideas than I do. Good luck!)
 
Last edited: