What is the best way to learn sequences/series?

• Thread starter chans
  • Start date
In summary, the best way to learn sequences and series is to do problems, do examples, and get a personal tutor.
chans
I've been doing alright in Calculus II but I can't seem to grasp sequences/series. The different tests like Integral Test, Comparison Test, Ratio/Root Tests also confused me in terms of how to apply them and when to apply them.

What is the best way for me to master this material? Any good sites or tutorials or basic strategies? For integration I learned it well by practicing integrating different integrals with different techniques, but when I try doing it for series/sequences I get stuck and can't retain the concepts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Same as for anything: do lots of examples - and get a personal tutor.

2 people I always recommend.
Www.patrickjmt.com
http://www.khanacademy.org/math/calculus/sequences_series_approx_calc

It also helps to play around with things like the Cantor set for fun and to familiarize yourself with the techniques used.

Last edited by a moderator:
chans said:
I've been doing alright in Calculus II but I can't seem to grasp sequences/series. The different tests like Integral Test, Comparison Test, Ratio/Root Tests also confused me in terms of how to apply them and when to apply them.
This should not confuse you if you pay close attention to the theorems where these rules are presented. Each theorem gives the conditions that must be in place to use the theorem, and what you can conclude when you apply the theorem to your series.

chans said:
What is the best way for me to master this material? Any good sites or tutorials or basic strategies? For integration I learned it well by practicing integrating different integrals with different techniques, but when I try doing it for series/sequences I get stuck and can't retain the concepts.

Do a lot of problems. It is just different from the other calculus stuffs. But as you go higher, there are more and more problems that cannot be solved by traditional integration or differentiations. It often need to be solved by numerical analysis, which is like series and sequence. You are going to encounter much more in Differential Equation and partial differential equation classes. All the Bessels, Legendre etc. are series.

Understand how the function being replaced by series, but after than, it is really a series that sum power of a variable together. That's the reason they called it numerical analysis!

Related to What is the best way to learn sequences/series?

1. What are sequences and series?

Sequences and series are mathematical concepts that involve the ordered list of numbers. A sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule, while a series is the sum of all the terms in a sequence.

2. What is the difference between arithmetic and geometric sequences?

Arithmetic sequences have a constant difference between each consecutive term, while geometric sequences have a constant ratio between each consecutive term. In other words, in arithmetic sequences, you add or subtract a constant value to each term, while in geometric sequences, you multiply or divide by a constant value.

3. What is the best way to identify the pattern in a sequence?

The best way to identify the pattern in a sequence is to look at the differences or ratios between each consecutive term. If there is a constant difference or ratio, then the sequence is either arithmetic or geometric. Otherwise, you may need to look at the previous terms to identify the pattern.

4. What are some strategies for solving series problems?

Some strategies for solving series problems include finding the formula for the nth term, determining the type of series (arithmetic or geometric), using known formulas for specific types of series (e.g. arithmetic series formula), and breaking the series into smaller, more manageable parts.

5. How can I improve my understanding of sequences and series?

To improve your understanding of sequences and series, it is important to practice solving various types of problems and to review the underlying concepts. You can also seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, and work with a tutor or study group to clarify any confusion. Additionally, try to make connections between sequences and series and real-world applications to deepen your understanding.