What is the braking force required to stop an egg from falling?

In summary, the birdwatcher sees an egg fall from a 20 m tall tree. Assuming a mass of 20 g for the egg, the force required to stop the egg in 1 mm is 0.2 N.
Mvb
Hello
I am having some trouble solving a problem related to braking forces. The assignment is this:

A birdwatcher sees an egg falling from a 20 m tall tree. (Though the 20 m might not have anything to do with this particular task because it is part of a longer question).
The egg strikes the ground and is brought to a stop in a distance of 1 mm. Assuming a mass of 20 g for the egg calculate the force required. (You may assume a constant braking force. Use g = 10 m/s^2)

I was going to calculate the eggs force (F = 0,02 kg * 10 m/s^2 = 0,2 N)
Because in order for the egg to become stationary, the forces on it must be equal in magnitude and have opposite directions (and this is the force on the egg towards the earth).

I am not sure what to do about the 1 mm though?

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Mvb, welcome to Physics Forums.

Please try to follow the posting template when you start a homework thread :smile:

The 10 m/s^2 acceleration alone applies as the egg is falling, causing the egg to speed up as it falls. It will have some final velocity just before it contacts the ground.

After it makes contact with the ground you're told that it comes to a halt in a distance of 1mm. So that means it goes from that final velocity to zero in that short distance. That represents a different acceleration rate which applies over that distance.

Thank you, and I'll do that the next time.

I understand that I am supposed to find the acceleration that makes the egg go from 20 m/s to 0 m/s in 1 mm, but I'm not sure how to do that?

I graphed it and was thinking to find the acceleration like this:

a = (0 m/s - 20 m/s) / Δt
0.001 m = 1/2 * a * t^2 + 20 m/s * t

And solve.
But I'm not supposed to use a calculator and it seems unlikely that it is that complicated.

Mvb said:
Thank you, and I'll do that the next time.

I understand that I am supposed to find the acceleration that makes the egg go from 20 m/s to 0 m/s in 1 mm, but I'm not sure how to do that?

I graphed it and was thinking to find the acceleration like this:

a = (0 m/s - 20 m/s) / Δt
0.001 m = 1/2 * a * t^2 + 20 m/s * t

And solve.
But I'm not supposed to use a calculator and it seems unlikely that it is that complicated.

There's another kinematic formula involving acceleration and velocities (initial and final) that involves distance rather than time. It would be the easier route to go. For a body undergoing acceleration from an initial velocity vi to a final velocity vf over distance d,
[tex] v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2 a d [/tex]

Thank you very much, that was really helpful :)

1. What is braking force?

Braking force is the force that acts on a moving object in the opposite direction of its motion, causing it to slow down or stop.

2. How is braking force calculated?

Braking force can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its acceleration, or by using the formula F = μmg, where μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect braking force?

The factors that affect braking force include the mass and velocity of the object, the type of surface it is braking on, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the braking surface.

4. How does braking force affect stopping distance?

The greater the braking force, the shorter the stopping distance will be. This is because a greater braking force will cause the object to decelerate more quickly.

5. How can braking force be increased?

Braking force can be increased by increasing the friction between the object and the braking surface, using a more efficient braking system, or by increasing the mass or velocity of the object.