Fixing an Incorrect Equation Answer

• Thread starter highschoolphysics
  • Start date
In summary: The GPE equation above give the value relative to a point an infinite distance from the source of gravity ( where GPE is considered zero). What you want is the difference in GPE between two points. So what are the units?? Also just use mgh first as sanity check...it should be within 7%(424/6000) of exact answer (not quite 3 sig fig!). Then do the exact using 1/r^3 as denominator.
highschoolphysics
Homework Statement
How much gravitational potential energy is required to lift a 9270-kg Progress spacecraft to the altitude of the International Space Station, 424 km above the surface of the Earth?
Relevant Equations
gpe=mgh
I tried just using that equation but I apparently didn't get the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
The exact expression for GPE, with the zero reference set at infinity, is ##U_{GPE} = -\frac{GMm}{r}##. If we are at the surface of the Earth and consider a small change in ##r##, then ##\delta U = gm \delta r## is approximately correct and we say ##U_{GPE} = mgh##, once we set our zero reference somewhere suitable near the surface of the Earth. This is just an approximation, however.

Since ##424 \text{km}## is quite a long way, you'll need to find ##\Delta U_{GPE}## with the exact expression to get a more reasonable answer!

Likes troglodyte
etotheipi said:
The exact expression for GPE, with the zero reference set at infinity, is ##U_{GPE} = -\frac{GMm}{r}##. If we are at the surface of the Earth and consider a small change in ##r##, then ##\delta U = gm \delta r## is approximately correct and we say ##U_{GPE} = mgh##, once we set our zero reference somewhere suitable near the surface of the Earth. This is just an approximation, however.

Since ##424 \text{km}## is quite a long way, you'll need to find ##\Delta U_{GPE}## with the exact expression to get a more reasonable answer!
So with that equation I got an answer of -8.71*10^15. Does that sound right to you? I'm supposed to answer with 3 sig figs and units.

Try and also show your work, otherwise it's not obvious what calculation you've performed :wink:

You're after a change in GPE from radius of ##R_{E}## to ##R_{E} + 424 \text{km}##. So first of all, this is going to be a positive number.

The expression is ##U_{grav} = -\frac{GM_{E}m}{r}##, so you should be able to substitute in the two values of ##r## and subtract to get your change. Or better yet, do it algebraically and substitute in at the end!

high schoolphysics said:
So with that equation I got an answer of -8.71*10^15. Does that sound right to you? I'm supposed to answer with 3 sig figs and units.
The GPE equation above give the value relative to a point an infinite distance from the source of gravity ( where GPE is considered zero). What you want is the difference in GPE between two points.

so what are the units??
Also just use mgh first as sanity check...it should be within 7%(424/6000) of exact answer (not quite 3 sig fig!). Then do the exact using 1/r

Likes etotheipi

1. How do I know if my equation answer is incorrect?

There are a few ways to determine if your equation answer is incorrect. First, you can check your work and calculations to see if there are any errors. You can also compare your answer to the expected or correct answer. Additionally, you can ask a teacher or peer to review your work and provide feedback.

2. What should I do if I realize my equation answer is incorrect?

If you realize that your equation answer is incorrect, the first step is to identify where the error occurred. Then, you can try to rework the problem and correct the mistake. If you are unable to find the error, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a teacher or tutor.

3. How can I prevent making mistakes in my equation answers?

To prevent making mistakes in your equation answers, it is important to double check your work and calculations. You can also use a calculator or other tools to assist with complex equations. It is also helpful to practice regularly and seek help when needed.

4. What are common mistakes to look out for when solving equations?

Some common mistakes to look out for when solving equations include errors in basic arithmetic, incorrect use of order of operations, and mistakes in distributing or combining like terms. It is also important to check for any errors in setting up the equation or using the correct formula.

5. How can I improve my equation solving skills?

To improve your equation solving skills, it is important to practice regularly and seek help when needed. You can also review and understand the steps involved in solving different types of equations. Additionally, it may be helpful to work with a study group or seek assistance from a tutor.