What is the Complex Tangent Formula Proof for Homework?

In summary, the student was trying to solve a homework equation that involved replacing tan(z) with sin(z)/cos(z), but was having difficulty because the book had a problem that was similar but with a different name. After solving the equation using cosh2(x)- sinh2(x)=1,cos2(x)+sin2(x)=1, and tan(x)=sin(x)/cos(x), they were able to solve the equation for e^{a+ib} using sin(x)=cos(x)tan(x).
allamid06

Homework Statement

This is an easy one, but keep in mind I'm kind of a newbie, anyway I can't figure out how to get the next formula...
tan(z) = (tan(a)+i tanh(b))/(1 - i tan(a)tan(b))

Homework Equations

This is the third part of an excercise, previous I proof the follow, -all using the definitions, of complex sin,cos, and tan, and definitions of real sinh,cosh, and tanh-...

cos(z)=cos(a)cosh(b)-i sin(a)sinh(b);
sin(z)=sin(a)cosh(b)+icos(a)sinh(b)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a lot of things, but couldn't get any way, maybe I'm missing something important, and that's what I fear.
I tried to replace tan(z) = sin(z)/cos(z) with the other equations but, I'm getting nothing.

Sorry for my english, lot of thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex] \tan(z)=\frac{\sin(z)}{\cos(z)}=\frac{\frac{e^{z}-e^{-z}}{2i}}{\frac{e^{z}+e^{-z}}{2}}=\frac{1}{i}\frac{e^{z}-e^{-z}}{e^{z}+e^{-z}}=\frac{1}{i}\frac{e^{a+ib}-e^{-(a+ib)}}{e^{a+ib}+e^{-(a+ib)}}[/itex]
Now write out the expression for [itex]e^{a+ib} [/itex]...

Svein said:
[itex] \tan(z)=\frac{\sin(z)}{\cos(z)}=\frac{\frac{e^{z}-e^{-z}}{2i}}{\frac{e^{z}+e^{-z}}{2}}=\frac{1}{i}\frac{e^{z}-e^{-z}}{e^{z}+e^{-z}}=\frac{1}{i}\frac{e^{a+ib}-e^{-(a+ib)}}{e^{a+ib}+e^{-(a+ib)}}[/itex]
Now write out the expression for [itex]e^{a+ib} [/itex]...
Thanks for that!, but, I will have to ask for even more help. Because, I already knew that formula, and I can't find how to pass to the one I'm asking for...

[itex]tan(z) = (tan(a)+i tanh(b))/(1 - i tan(a)tan(b))[/itex]

I've solved it! and I wanted to tell you. The biggest problem was that the damn book have a cute problem tan(z)=(tan(a)+itanh(b))/(1−itan(a)tan(b)) is really tan(z)=(tan(a)+itanh(b))/(1−itan(a)tanh(b)) having that in mind and with some equations it's really simple to get. I mean, using cosh2(x)- sinh2(x)=1,cos2(x)+sin2(x)=1, and tan(x)=sin(x)/cos(x), ...and the most important, after the two other equations I posted at first... (and the simplest one) sin(x)=cos(x)tan(x)

What is the complex tangent formula?

The complex tangent formula is a mathematical equation that expresses the tangent of a complex number in terms of its real and imaginary parts. It is used to calculate the tangent of a complex angle in the complex plane.

Why is the complex tangent formula important?

The complex tangent formula is important because it allows us to calculate the tangent of complex angles, which is a crucial component in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as in signal processing, electrical engineering, and physics.

What is the proof of the complex tangent formula?

The proof of the complex tangent formula involves using the Euler's formula, which relates complex numbers to trigonometric functions, and the addition and subtraction trigonometric identities to derive the formula.

Is the complex tangent formula difficult to understand?

The complexity of the complex tangent formula depends on one's mathematical background and understanding of complex numbers. For those with a strong foundation in complex analysis, the formula may be easier to understand. However, for those without prior knowledge of complex numbers, the formula may be more challenging to grasp.

What are some real-world applications of the complex tangent formula?

The complex tangent formula has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is used in signal processing to analyze and manipulate signals, in electrical engineering to design and analyze circuits, and in physics to calculate the behavior of complex systems. It is also used in various mathematical calculations and in the study of complex functions and their properties.