What is the correct way to convert dBuA to mA/m for magnetic field strength?

In summary, the conversation revolves around confusion regarding the conversion to dB and its relationship to magnetic field strength. The regulations for the project specify a maximum of 60 dBuA/m at 10 m, but there is uncertainty about whether this corresponds to 1 A/m or 1 mA/m. It is determined that 60 dBuA is equal to 1 mA, and that 20Log should be used for the conversion. The conversation then ends with a humorous comment about the complexity of electromagnetics.
temujin
Hi

I´m a little bit confused regarding conversion to dB:

Regulations for a project I´m on say the maximum magnetic field strength allowed is 60 dBuA/m at 10 m. (here I chose 60 myself for simplicity...)

So the question is will this correspond to 1 A /m at 10 m (10log[1000000/1]=60 dB)

or will it correspond with 1 mA / m at 10 m since 20log[1000/1]=60dB.

should I use 20log or 10 log?

regards
t.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What has dB (probably 'decibell') have to do with magnetic field strength...?

Daniel.

It's decibel. I believe you would want to use 20. The 10 is used in power calculations because of the I^2 term in the equations for power, IIRC.

Since this is out of my realm, I would recommend another opinion. I'll do some searching to see if I can find anything concrete.

60dBuA is equal to 1mA. Mr. Garvin is correct, you would use 20Log, 10Log is used for power (or more correctly the ratio of 2 powers). for every additional 20dB, add a factor of ten. 80dBuA is equal to 10mA, etc.
KC

Electromagnetics, what a concept.

Related to What is the correct way to convert dBuA to mA/m for magnetic field strength?

1. What is a decibel (dB)?

A decibel is a unit used to measure the ratio of two values, such as sound intensity or power. It is a logarithmic scale, which means that a change of 10 dB represents a ten-fold change in the measured quantity.

2. How do I convert from dB to another unit of measurement?

The conversion from dB to another unit of measurement, such as watts or volts, depends on what is being measured. For example, to convert from dB to watts, you can use the formula 10^(dB/10) to find the power ratio, and then multiply it by the reference value (usually 1mW) to get the desired unit.

3. What is the reference value for dB measurements?

The reference value for dB measurements can vary depending on what is being measured. For sound intensity, the reference value is usually 10^-12 watts per square meter (W/m^2). For power, the reference value is often 1 milliwatt (mW). It is important to know the reference value in order to accurately convert from dB to other units.

4. Can dB values be negative?

Yes, dB values can be negative. Negative dB values indicate a decrease in the measured quantity compared to the reference value, while positive dB values indicate an increase. For example, a sound may be measured at -20 dB, meaning it is 1/100th as intense as the reference value.

5. Why are dB conversions important in science?

dB conversions are important in science because they allow for a more convenient and precise way to measure and compare values that vary over a large range. They are commonly used in fields such as acoustics, electronics, and telecommunications. Additionally, dB values are often used to express the loudness of sound, making them useful in fields such as audiology and music production.