What is the definition of 2^M and how can it be determined?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, we discussed sets and their powersets. We determined the powerset of a set $M$ and showed that for any set $A$ and $B$, the powerset of their Cartesian product is not in the form of the set of all subsets of $A$ and $B$. We also looked at an example of finding the powerset of a set with two elements and showed that there is no set $M$ such that its powerset is empty. Finally, we discussed the difference between sets with elements in a specific order and their corresponding powersets.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

1. Let $M:=\{7,4,0,3\}$. Determine $2^M$.
  2. Prove or disprove $2^{A\times B}=\{A'\times B'\mid A'\subseteq A, B'\subseteq B\}$.
  3. Let $a\neq b\in \mathbb{R}$ and $M:=2^{\{a,b\}}$. Determine $2^M$.
  4. Is there a set $M$, such that $2^M=\emptyset$ ?

First of all how is $2^M$ defined? Is this the powerset? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
First of all how is $2^M$ defined? Is this the powerset?

Hey mathmari!

Yep.
So $2^{\{a,b\}}=\{\varnothing,\{a\},\{b\},\{a,b\}\}$. (Thinking)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Yep.
So $2^{\{a,b\}}=\{\varnothing,\{a\},\{b\},\{a,b\}\}$. (Thinking)

So we have the following:
  1. $2^M=\{\emptyset, \{7\}, \{4\}, \{0\}, \{3\}, \{7,4\}, \{7,0\}, \{7,3\}, \{4,0\}, \{4,3\}, \{0,3\},\{7,4,0\}, \{7,4,3\}, \{7,0,3\}, \{4,0,3\}, \{7,4,0,3\}$
  2. $2^{A\times B}=\text{ set of every subset of } A\times B=\{(a,b)\mid a\in A, b\in B\}$.

So it is of the form $2^{A\times B}=\{\emptyset, \{(a_i, b_i)\}, \{(a_i, b_i), (a_j, b_j)\}, \cdots \}$, or not?

This is not of the form $\{A'\times B'\mid A'\subseteq A, B'\subseteq B\}$, is it? (Wondering)
  3. We have that $M=\{\emptyset, \{a\}, \{b\}, \{a,b\}\}$.

The $2^M=\{\emptyset, \{\emptyset\}, \{\{a\}\},\{\{b\}\}, \{\{a,b\}\}, \{\emptyset, \{a\}\}, \{\emptyset, \{b\}\}, \{\emptyset, \{a,b\}\}, \{\{a\}, \{b\}\}, \{\{a\}, \{a,b\}\}, \{\{a,b\}, \{b\}\}, \{\emptyset, \{a\}, \{b\}\}, \{\emptyset, \{a\}, \{a,b\}\}, \{\emptyset, \{a,b\}, \{b\}\}, \{\emptyset, \{a\}, \{b\}, \{a,b\}\}$

Is this correct? Or do I miss something? (Wondering)
  4. There isn't such a set, since at least the emptyset is contained in the powerset. Is this correct? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
So we have the following:

1. $2^M=\{\emptyset, \{7\}, \{4\}, \{0\}, \{3\}, \{7,4\}, \{7,0\}, \{7,3\}, \{4,0\}, \{4,3\}, \{0,3\},\{7,4,0\}, \{7,4,3\}, \{7,0,3\}, \{4,0,3\}, \{7,4,0,3\}$

2. $2^{A\times B}=\text{ set of every subset of } A\times B=\{(a,b)\mid a\in A, b\in B\}$.

So it is of the form $2^{A\times B}=\{\emptyset, \{(a_i, b_i)\}, \{(a_i, b_i), (a_j, b_j)\}, \cdots \}$, or not?

This is not of the form $\{A'\times B'\mid A'\subseteq A, B'\subseteq B\}$, is it? (Wondering)

3. We have that $M=\{\emptyset, \{a\}, \{b\}, \{a,b\}\}$.

The $2^M=\{\emptyset, \{\emptyset\}, \{\{a\}\},\{\{b\}\}, \{\{a,b\}\}, \{\emptyset, \{a\}\}, \{\emptyset, \{b\}\}, \{\emptyset, \{a,b\}\}, \{\{a\}, \{b\}\}, \{\{a\}, \{a,b\}\}, \{\{a,b\}, \{b\}\}, \{\emptyset, \{a\}, \{b\}\}, \{\emptyset, \{a\}, \{a,b\}\}, \{\emptyset, \{a,b\}, \{b\}\}, \{\emptyset, \{a\}, \{b\}, \{a,b\}\}$

Is this correct? Or do I miss something?

4. There isn't such a set, since at least the emptyset is contained in the powerset. Is this correct?

All correct.
Did you miss something? Only the closing brace. (Tauri)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
All correct.
Did you miss something? Only the closing brace. (Tauri)

Great! At 2 how can we disprove that formally? (Wondering)

A question of my own.

Say we have \(\displaystyle A = \{1, 2, 4 \}\) and \(\displaystyle B = \{ 1, 2, 3 \}\)

Why wouldn't \(\displaystyle 2^{A \times B}\) have sets with the form \(\displaystyle \{ a_i, b_j \}\) rather than just \(\displaystyle \{ a_i, b_i \}\)?

And, since we are talking about a Cartesian product wouldn't \(\displaystyle 2^{ \{ 1, 2 \} }\) be different from \(\displaystyle 2^{ \{ 2, 1 \} }\)?

Thanks!

-Dan

1. What is the meaning of "2^M" in statements about the set?

The notation "2^M" refers to the power set of the set M. This means that 2^M is the set of all possible subsets of M, including the empty set and the set M itself.

2. How is the size of 2^M related to the size of set M?

The size of 2^M is always larger than the size of set M. In fact, the size of 2^M is 2 raised to the power of the size of set M. For example, if set M has 3 elements, then 2^M will have 2^3 = 8 elements.

3. Can 2^M be empty?

Yes, 2^M can be empty if the set M is also empty. This is because the empty set is a subset of any set, including itself. Therefore, the power set of the empty set will include the empty set as one of its elements.

4. How is 2^M related to the Cartesian product of M with itself?

The Cartesian product of M with itself is denoted as M x M and is the set of all ordered pairs (a,b) where a and b are elements of M. The power set of M, 2^M, can be seen as the set of all possible subsets of M x M, including the empty set and the set M x M itself.

5. Can 2^M have the same elements as M?

No, 2^M cannot have the same elements as M. This is because the elements of 2^M are subsets of M, and therefore, cannot be the same as the elements of M. However, 2^M can have elements that are equal to M, such as the set M itself.