What is the derivation for the sinusoidal waveform in an alternating current?

In summary, The conversation discusses the derivation of the alternating signal, specifically the sinusoidal waveform. The equation ε=vLB=vaB=ωraB=\frac{1}{2}ωabB=\frac{1}{2}ωAB is mentioned, but the steps leading to the sinusoid function are not clear. The speaker explains that the variation in magnitude of V in the vertical direction is what causes the sinusoidal waveform. The notes taken by the listener do not include any intermediate steps between the initial equation and the sinusoid function.
sandy.bridge
Hello all,
I'm trying to find the derivation for the alternating signal. For example,
Untitled-9.jpg

let b=width of loop
a=length of loop
Hence,
[tex]ε=vLB=vaB=ωraB=\frac{1}{2}ωabB=\frac{1}{2}ωAB[/tex]
I cannot seem to find the derivation of how one gets from this step, to the sinusoidal waveform. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your sin comes from the fact that in the up and down direction V has a magnitude that varies sinusoudally. ie At the top and bottom, 0 deg and 180 deg, if y is the vertical direction , Vy=0. At 90 deg and 270 deg Vy has its maximum value wr.

So, essentially the first part of the derivation has nothing to do with the rest? My notes jump from the first part that I depicted directly to the sinusoid function, without any intermediate steps.

Related to What is the derivation for the sinusoidal waveform in an alternating current?

1. What is Alternating Current (AC)?

Alternating Current (AC) is a type of electrical current that changes direction periodically. This means that the flow of electrons in an AC circuit constantly alternates between moving in one direction and then in the opposite direction.

2. How is Alternating Current generated?

Alternating Current is generated by rotating a coil of wire between the poles of a magnet. This creates a constantly changing magnetic field which induces a current in the coil, resulting in the production of AC electricity.

3. What is the difference between Alternating Current and Direct Current?

The main difference between Alternating Current and Direct Current is the direction of electron flow. In AC, the electrons constantly change direction, while in DC, the electrons flow in only one direction. AC is also used for long-distance power transmission, while DC is more commonly used in smaller devices.

4. What is the formula for calculating Alternating Current?

The formula for calculating Alternating Current is I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms. This is known as Ohm's Law.

5. What are the advantages of Alternating Current?

One of the main advantages of Alternating Current is that it can be easily converted to different voltages using transformers, making it suitable for long-distance power transmission. Additionally, AC is more efficient for powering larger devices and can be easily generated using power plants.