What is the difference between monoclinic C and triclinic P lattices?

• Thread starter Coffee_
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses the differences between monoclinic C and triclinic P lattices, specifically in terms of their basis vectors and angles. It is noted that while changing one basis vector in monoclinic C can result in a triclinic P lattice, they are still considered to be different Bravais lattices. The conversation also mentions the presence of a two-fold axis in P1 and a 2/m axis in C2/m.
Coffee_
I don't see how for example Monoclinic C and triclinic P are different lattices.

Take a look at monoclinic C :

http://faculty.washington.edu/stenkamp/bstr515/c44.gif

If I'd change one basis vector to go from the origin to the centered point instead I'm actually describing a triclinic P lattice. However they are still given as different Bravais lattices. Where does my mistake/misunderstanding lie here?

Physics news on Phys.org
In P1:
a≠b≠c, all angles≠π/2, so to two-fold axis

in C2/m
a=b≠c, β≠π/2, γ≠π/2
for primitive basis and you still have 2/m axis going along the bisectrix between a and b

1. What are Bravais lattices?

Bravais lattices are the 14 unique, three-dimensional arrangements of points in space that can be used to describe the periodic structure of crystals.

2. How are Bravais lattices classified?

Bravais lattices are classified based on their symmetry properties, such as the types and number of rotational and reflection symmetries present in the lattice.

3. Why are Bravais lattices important?

Bravais lattices are important because they provide a way to categorize and describe the crystal structures of various materials, which is essential for understanding their physical and chemical properties.

4. Can a material have more than one Bravais lattice?

Yes, some materials can exhibit more than one Bravais lattice depending on the temperature, pressure, or other external factors affecting their crystal structure.

5. What is the relationship between Bravais lattices and unit cells?

Each Bravais lattice is associated with a specific unit cell, which is the smallest repeating unit of the crystal structure. The unit cell represents the basic building block of the lattice and is used to describe its symmetry and dimensions.