1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the difference between Raman scattering and fluorescence

1. Jun 23, 2012 #1
    What is the difference between Raman scattering and fluorescence emission?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2012 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Spectroscopy

Hi Emmangel
    Welcome to PF :)

there is a difference... this clip from wiki should hopefully clear it up ....

so really simply Raman scattering is more akin to reflection, fluorescence isnt, rather it is an absorption effect

cheers
    Dave

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  4. Jun 23, 2012 #3

krd

I'm not sure about this. But I think fluorescences is due to certain kinds of chiral molecules getting twisted tighter by different light, and then releasing the light as they uncoil. And I think this is why you can see a perceptible time delay in the drop off fluorescence when you switch off your UV source or whatever.

And there are certain sweets - mints - that if you crack them in the dark, you'll see them fluores for a few seconds.

5. Jun 23, 2012 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

dunno if that would be fluorescence or luminescence

On the other hand to align with the earlier statement, my fluorescing rocks and minerals
    absorb the light of one wavelength and re-emit it at a different wavelength
    Under plain "white light" they are nothing outstanding to look at, under UV light they fluoresce amazing bright and vivid colours, that bear no relation to their white light colours

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook