Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the difference

1. Feb 24, 2006 #1
    Is there a difference between an atomic bomb and a nuclear bomb? or it's two names for one kind of bomb?
    I am so confused :confused: !!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2006 #2

Gold Member

Wiki is your friend:

In a nutshell:

An atom bomb (or A-bomb or fission bomb) exploits the power released when a heavy element such as plutonium is split into two lighter elements.

A hydrogen bomb (or H-bomb or fusion bomb) exploits the power released when a light element such as hydrogen is fused into a heavier element such as helium.

If you look up "binding energy", you'll see this graph. A reaction that jumps up the chart (such as U > Kr (not listed) or H > He) releases a corresponding amount of energy.

Considering the height that He is above H, it becomes apparent why H-bombs are much more powerful than A-bombs.
  4. Feb 24, 2006 #3

Staff: Mentor

But the question was about "atomic" vs "nuclear".... My understanding was that the word "atomic" fell out of favor because it isn't quite descriptive: the energy comes from the nucleus of the atom, hence "nuclear".
  5. Feb 24, 2006 #4

i think, the common usage also meant that "atomic bomb" precluded the fusion bomb, but "nuclear bomb" could mean either fission or fusion bomb.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?