What is the efficiency of a spinning garden sprinkler at a given speed?

• Thread starter morry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Efficiency
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the efficiency of a garden sprinkler that has two nozzles and spins around to spray water on a garden. The person asking the question has calculated the torque when the sprinkler is stationary, but is confused about finding the efficiency at a certain spinning speed and the value of "u" for maximum power. Another person explains that efficiency can be calculated by comparing the actual work done to the theoretical work that could be done, and suggests using the given torque and the maximum work for that torque to determine the efficiency. They also mention using the kinetic energy and power equations to calculate the value of "u" for maximum power. The person who asked the question had their exam and did well, but there
morry
sprinkler efficiency (urgent :))

Ok, I have an exam on monday and both my lecturers and tutor have gone walkabouts. So you guys are my last resort. Thanks. :)

Anyway:
Water is discharged from a a garden sprinkler from two nozzles and opposite ends of an arm. Its the type that spins around and sprays water on your garden.

I have calculated the torque exerted when its stationary but the second part of the question confuses me.

It asks for the work done per second when spinning at speed "u". No worries.
But then it asks for the efficiency of the device at that speed.

Then asks for the value of "u" for maximum power.

I don't understand how to find the efficiency of this, can someone explain how I would go about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Its hard to say what is meant by efficiency - which presuambly would be work output/energy input.

On the other hand, from the torque, one can presumably determine what total work could be performed (100% efficency) as compared to what work is actually done based on when spinning with speed "u", and the ratio of "work actually done to work that could be theoretically done" is the efficiency.

I understand what youre saying, but I don't know how to work this out.

I have calculated the torque it puts out, but how would I work out the theoretical part?

Thanks Astronuc.

Well

[tex] dW\,=\,\vec{F}\,\cdot\,d\vec{s}\,=\,F_\perp\,ds\,=\,\,F_\perp\,r\,d\theta [/tex]

and

[tex] dW\,=\,\tau\,d\theta [/tex]

So find the maximum work for the given torque.

Do you have the kinetic energy from the tip moving with speed "u", which should equal [itex]\omega\,r[/itex].

The power is also just [itex]\vec{\tau}\,\cdot\,\vec{\omega}[/itex]

Thanks astronuc. I know what youre on about now.

I had the exam this morning and I think I did quite well. No questions on sprinkler efficiency though. :)

Related to What is the efficiency of a spinning garden sprinkler at a given speed?

What is sprinkler efficiency?

Sprinkler efficiency refers to the amount of water that is effectively delivered to a specific area by a sprinkler system. It is a measure of how well the sprinkler system is able to distribute water and cover the desired area.

How is sprinkler efficiency calculated?

Sprinkler efficiency is typically calculated by comparing the amount of water applied by the sprinkler system to the amount of water that is actually used by the plants. This can be done through a catch can test, where containers are placed in the area being watered to measure the amount of water received, or through pressure and flow rate measurements.

What factors affect sprinkler efficiency?

Several factors can affect sprinkler efficiency, including the type of sprinkler heads used, the water pressure and flow rate, the spacing and placement of the sprinkler heads, and the type of soil and vegetation in the area being watered. Weather conditions, such as wind and temperature, can also impact sprinkler efficiency.

How can I improve sprinkler efficiency?

There are several steps you can take to improve sprinkler efficiency. These include regularly maintaining and repairing your sprinkler system, adjusting the sprinkler heads to ensure proper coverage, using the appropriate type of sprinkler heads for your specific needs, and scheduling watering times based on weather and plant needs.

Why is sprinkler efficiency important?

Sprinkler efficiency is important for both environmental and economic reasons. A more efficient sprinkler system can help conserve water, reduce runoff and erosion, and save money on water bills. It also ensures that plants receive the proper amount of water, which can lead to healthier and more productive vegetation.