What is the Electric Field inside this charged sphere?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations and spherical symmetry to determine the electric field at a specific point. The equations used include E_flux=EA=(q_encl)/(permittivity) and Area=4pir^2. The discussion also mentions the manipulation of the equations, resulting in a term of the form R/r, which leads to the field going to infinity at the center. However, it is pointed out that by spherical symmetry, the field should be 0 at the center, which is confirmed by Gauss' law.
k_squared

Homework Statement

Let me just put this here:
http://i.imgur.com/dgcWAC3.png
dgcWAC3.png

Homework Equations

E_flux=EA=(q_encl)/(permittivity)
Area=4pir^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Whenever I manipulate the above equations, I get a term of the form R/r, which implies, R being 5 cm, and r being the radius inside. This implies that the field goes to infinity at the center, when I'm pretty sure by spherical symmetry it is 0!

Physics news on Phys.org
k_squared said:
Whenever I manipulate the above equations, I get a term of the form R/r, which implies, R being 5 cm, and r being the radius inside.
Not sure how you'd get an expression with R = 5 cm, when evaluating the field at r = 4 cm. Using Gauss' law at r = 4 cm gives you the field at that point, assuming spherical symmetry. What's the enclosed charge at that radius?

k_squared said:
when I'm pretty sure by spherical symmetry it is 0!
That's true and Gauss' law agrees.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence of an electric charge on other charges in the surrounding space. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field inside a charged sphere calculated?

The electric field inside a charged sphere is calculated using the formula E = Q / (4πε0r2), where Q is the charge of the sphere, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

3. Is the electric field inside a charged sphere uniform?

Yes, the electric field inside a charged sphere is uniform. This means that the magnitude and direction of the electric field are the same at all points inside the sphere.

4. How does the electric field inside a charged sphere vary with distance from the center?

The electric field inside a charged sphere varies inversely with the square of the distance from the center. This means that as the distance from the center increases, the electric field decreases.

5. Can the electric field inside a charged sphere be negative?

Yes, the electric field inside a charged sphere can be negative. This would occur if the charge of the sphere is negative, causing the direction of the electric field to be inward towards the center of the sphere.