What is the electric field outside a solenoid in quasi-static approximation?

In summary: The flux through the surface boundeding your Amperian loop is \mu_0 n \pi a^2 only outside the loop, where s\geq a.
Reshma
A long solenoid with radius 'a' and 'n' turns per unit length carries a time-dependent current [itex]I(t)[/itex] in the [itex]\phi[/itex] direction. Find the electric field (magnitude and direction) at a distance 's' from the axis (both inside and outside the solenoid), in quasi-static approximation.What's quasi-static approximation? Anyway, without much prior thought I applied the flux rule :rolleyes: :
[tex]\varepsilon = \int \vec E \cdot d\vec l = -{d\Phi \over dt}[/tex]

[itex]\vec B = \mu_0 nI \hat z[/itex], [itex]\vec A = \pi a^2 \hat z[/itex]
[tex]\Phi = \mu_0 nI \pi a^2[/tex]

[tex]\int \vec E \cdot d\vec l =-{d ( \mu_0 nI \pi a^2)\over dt}[/tex]

[tex]E2\pi a = -( \mu_0 n \pi a^2){dI\over dt}[/tex]

Before I proceed to the final step, someone please check my work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have a time varying current, the electromagnetic field created by the solenoid varies with time. The electromagnetic 'news' travels at the speed of light though.
In this case you are working with a time varying currents, but you are using the apparatus of magnetostatics, like Biot-Savart and Ampère's Law (e.g. Your equation for B came from magnetostatics). Your answers are only approximately correct, but the deviation is small if the current is 'static enough', i.e. it doesn't vary quickly. The approximation is called the quasi-static approximation.

You are looking at a distance 's' from the solenoid axis right? So [itex]\oint \vec E \cdot d\vec l=E2\pi s[/itex]. Also, the flux through the surface bounding your Amperian loop is [itex]\mu_0 n \pi a^2[/itex] only outside the loop, where [itex]s\geq a[/itex].

Reshma said:
A long solenoid with radius 'a' and 'n' turns per unit length carries a time-dependent current [itex]I(t)[/itex] in the [itex]\phi[/itex] direction. Find the electric field (magnitude and direction) at a distance 's' from the axis (both inside and outside the solenoid), in quasi-static approximation.

What's quasi-static approximation? Anyway, without much prior thought I applied the flux rule :rolleyes: :
[tex]\varepsilon = \int \vec E \cdot d\vec l = -{d\Phi \over dt}[/tex]

[itex]\vec B = \mu_0 nI \hat z[/itex], [itex]\vec A = \pi a^2 \hat z[/itex]
[tex]\Phi = \mu_0 nI \pi a^2[/tex]

[tex]\int \vec E \cdot d\vec l =-{d ( \mu_0 nI \pi a^2)\over dt}[/tex]

[tex]E2\pi a = -( \mu_0 n \pi a^2){dI\over dt}[/tex]

Before I proceed to the final step, someone please check my work.

By the quasi static appriximation we mean that B=mu_0 nI (s<a) and B= 0 (s>a)
then why E is not zero outside(s>a)?

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a type of electromagnet that consists of a coil of wire that carries an electric current. It produces a magnetic field when an electric current flows through it.

2. What is the electric field of a solenoid?

The electric field of a solenoid is the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed at a point within the solenoid, caused by the electric current flowing through the wire coil.

3. How is the electric field of a solenoid calculated?

The electric field of a solenoid can be calculated using the equation E = (N * I) / L, where N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the electric current, and L is the length of the solenoid.

4. What factors affect the strength of the electric field in a solenoid?

The strength of the electric field in a solenoid is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the magnitude of the electric current, and the length of the solenoid. It is also affected by the permeability of the material inside the solenoid and the distance from the center of the solenoid.

5. What are the practical applications of the electric field of a solenoid?

The electric field of a solenoid is used in a variety of applications, such as in electromagnets, electric motors, televisions, and generators. It is also utilized in medical devices, particle accelerators, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.