What is the final temperature of an isentropic expansion with a given function?

In summary, the problem involves a system with the function u = Av-2exp(s/R), with N moles of substance initially at T0 and P0. The substance is expanded isentropically until the pressure is halved, and the goal is to find the final temperature. The equations used in attempting to solve this problem are du = \partialu\partials ds + \partialu\partialv dv and du = Tds - Pdv. One approach is to set ds equal to zero and find the derivative of v, which would be multiplied by P times 1/2. However, this raises the question of finding the final temperature as a multiple of the initial temperature. Another approach is to express T and P
avocadogirl

Homework Statement

I have a system u =Av-2exp(s/R)

N moles of this substance initially at T0 and P0 are expanded isentropically until the pressure is halved. What is the final temperature?

Homework Equations

du = [tex]\partial[/tex]u[tex]\partial[/tex]s ds + [tex]\partial[/tex]u[tex]\partial[/tex]v dv
du = Tds - Pdv

The Attempt at a Solution

If this function is changing isentropically, ds would have to be zero, correct? The derivative of v would have to be such as to multiply P times 1/2, correct? But, if ds --> zero, how do I find my final temperature as a multiple of my initial temperature? Do I have to start plugging values which would satisfy these conditions back into the original equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about expressing T as [itex](\partial U/\partial S)_V[/itex] and P as [itex]-(\partial U/\partial V)_S[/itex] and looking at how the volume changes during the process?

Related to What is the final temperature of an isentropic expansion with a given function?

1. What is isentropic expansion?

Isentropic expansion refers to a thermodynamic process in which a gas or fluid expands without any energy transfer in the form of heat. This means that the entropy of the system remains constant during the expansion.

2. What is the difference between isentropic and adiabatic expansion?

Isentropic expansion is a type of adiabatic process, meaning there is no heat transfer during the expansion. However, adiabatic processes do not necessarily maintain a constant entropy, while isentropic processes do.

3. What are the applications of isentropic expansion?

Isentropic expansion is commonly used in the design and analysis of engines and turbines, such as in jet engines and gas turbines. It is also used in thermodynamic cycles, such as the Carnot cycle, to achieve maximum efficiency.

4. How is isentropic efficiency calculated?

Isentropic efficiency is the ratio of the actual work output of a device to the maximum possible work output, assuming isentropic expansion. It is calculated by dividing the actual work output by the ideal isentropic work output.

5. What factors affect isentropic expansion?

The efficiency of isentropic expansion depends on the properties of the gas or fluid, such as temperature, pressure, and specific heat capacity. Friction and heat transfer also play a role in the efficiency of the process.