What is the final temperature of an isentropic expansion with a given function?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
avocadogirl
Messages
52
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I have a system u =Av-2exp(s/R)

N moles of this substance initially at T0 and P0 are expanded isentropically until the pressure is halved. What is the final temperature?

Homework Equations



du = [tex]\partial[/tex]u[tex]\partial[/tex]s ds + [tex]\partial[/tex]u[tex]\partial[/tex]v dv
du = Tds - Pdv


The Attempt at a Solution



If this function is changing isentropically, ds would have to be zero, correct? The derivative of v would have to be such as to multiply P times 1/2, correct? But, if ds --> zero, how do I find my final temperature as a multiple of my initial temperature? Do I have to start plugging values which would satisfy these conditions back into the original equation?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How about expressing T as [itex](\partial U/\partial S)_V[/itex] and P as [itex]-(\partial U/\partial V)_S[/itex] and looking at how the volume changes during the process?