What is the formula for calculating displacement in motion?

• Thread starter Turkish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, motion is the change in position of an object over time and can be described by speed, velocity, and acceleration. The factors that affect motion are force, mass, and friction. Speed is the rate of movement, while velocity includes both speed and direction. Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object will remain at rest or in motion unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.
Turkish
Hi, My Physics was explaining us about Motion etc, And he gave us a formula can someone Please tell me what this is:

S = ut + 1/2 at^2

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That kinematic equation gives the distance traveled in a given time for uniformly accelerated motion with an initial velocity of u.

for reaching out for help with understanding motion. This formula is known as the displacement formula, where S represents the displacement (or distance traveled), u represents the initial velocity, t represents the time elapsed, and a represents the acceleration. This formula is often used in kinematics to calculate the displacement of an object in motion. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Related to What is the formula for calculating displacement in motion?

What is motion?

Motion is the change in position of an object over time. It can be described in terms of speed, velocity, and acceleration.

What factors affect motion?

The factors that affect motion include force, mass, and friction. Force is a push or pull that causes an object to move. Mass is the amount of matter in an object. Friction is a force that opposes motion.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object moves, while velocity is the rate at which an object moves in a specific direction. In other words, velocity includes both speed and direction.

How can you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.