What is the formula for defining curvature on three-dimensional surfaces?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of curvature for curves on three-dimensional surfaces and how it differs from the definition for two-dimensional curves. The conversation also touches on various types of curvatures and their applications in differential geometry. Additionally, there is a question about extending the proof for curves given by z=f(x,y) to more general parametric surfaces. The conversation ends with a question about the existence of an optimal solution when the given boundary conditions cannot be fulfilled.
KingBongo
How do you define curvature for curves on three-dimensional surfaces when the surface is given in the form z=f(x,y)?

The resulting formula should be a lot simpler than the one for parametric curves of the form r(t)=(x(t),y(t),z(t)), like it becomes for two-dimensional curves given by y=f(x).

I cannot figure it out! Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well it seems to me that x and y serve as the parameters (i.e. set x=s, y=t). Then, Q(s,t)=(s,t,f(s,t)) is the parametrization of the surface, where s and t take all the values in the domain of f.

Yes, so true. But what I am looking for is the equivalent to curvature as defined in vector calculus. What I have found are results where you only have one free parameter, usually termed "t". I do not know how to generalize to two or more free variables, while still being mathematically rigid, :(

oh! Well have you tried wikipedia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curvature#Curvature_of_2-dimensional_surfaces

There are many types of curvatures one can be interested in: gaussian curvature, mean curvature, normal curvature, principal curvature.

For instance, the gaussian curvature is interesting because it characterizes surfaces up to isometry (see gauss' theorema egregium). Meaning in layman terms that if a surface is deformed without stretching and ripping (ex: turning a sheet of paper into a cylinder), then the resulting surface will have the same gaussian curvature at each point.

The mean curvature is more like the equivalent of a curve's curvature applied to surfaces in that it will say that the curvature of a cylinder is not the same as that of a plane sheet, as intuition would suggest.

Last edited:
KingBongo said:
How do you define curvature for curves on three-dimensional surfaces when the surface is given in the form z=f(x,y)?

The resulting formula should be a lot simpler than the one for parametric curves of the form r(t)=(x(t),y(t),z(t)), like it becomes for two-dimensional curves given by y=f(x).

I cannot figure it out! Please help.

Such a surface is often called a "Monge patch" in the theory of surfaces. So are you are seeking an expression for path curvature [itex]\kappa[/itex] and (torsion [itex]\tau[/itex]) for a space curve which belongs to a Monge patch?

Moderators: I suggest moving this thread to the Differential Geometry forum, where it obviously belongs.

(Chris, if you want to talk to the mods about moving a thread, I suggest pressing the little "REPORT" button uner the OP's name)

THANK YOU GUYS!

For days I have been working hard to prove that a sphere has the smallest surface area, volume fixed, of all solids. I ended up with something that looked like a curvature in 3 dimensions, and that something had to be constant! I wasn't able to show that it represented some kind of curvature though.

Due to the Monge Patch hint from Chris Hillman I immediately found out that what I had was exactly the mean curvature for Monge Patches, and therefore the solid must be part of a sphere...

Thanks! I am sooooo happy right now, :)

Now to the next problem: Can I use my proof for curves given by z=f(x,y) and extend the result to more general parametric surfaces? I think one has to do that in order to get a proof for full spheres and not only parts of them, or is there some simple trick?

Man, am I happy or what, :)

I have some more;

Suppose that you showed what the optimum solution must look like, if it exists, but cannot fulfill the boundary conditions. Does it mean that there does not exist any optimal solution then? How to resolve it?

One example: Suppose that you have showed that part of a sphere must be an optimal solution, but you have a circular boundary for the domain on the x-y plane where z(x,y) varies sinusoidally along the boundary. I suppose no sphere could fix that. What does that mean?

Chris Hillman said:
Moderators: I suggest moving this thread to the Differential Geometry forum, where it obviously belongs.
Since this forum is labeled TensorAnalysis & Differential Geometry where do you suggest moving it to since this is the exact forum where one asks questions such as the one asked by the OP??

Pete

It might have been moved from somewhere else since Chris posted that sometime ago.

yenchin said:
It might have been moved from somewhere else since Chris posted that sometime ago.
I see. Thanks. Makes perfect sense. In fact I woke up with that thought this morning and came here to check on that possibility.

Pete

1. What is curvature for surfaces?

Curvature for surfaces is a measure of how much a surface curves at a certain point. It is a fundamental concept in differential geometry and is used to describe the shape of surfaces in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. How is curvature for surfaces calculated?

Curvature for surfaces is calculated using the concept of Gaussian curvature, which is obtained by taking the product of the principal curvatures at a point on the surface. The principal curvatures are the maximum and minimum values of the curvature at that point.

3. What is the significance of curvature for surfaces?

Curvature for surfaces is significant because it helps us understand the geometry of surfaces, including their shape, direction, and orientation. It is also used to solve problems in various fields such as computer graphics, geodesy, and cartography.

4. How is curvature for surfaces related to the surface's topology?

Curvature for surfaces is closely related to the surface's topology, which is the study of the properties of a surface that do not change when it is stretched or deformed. The topology of a surface determines its curvature and vice versa.

5. Can curvature for surfaces be negative?

Yes, curvature for surfaces can be negative. In fact, a surface with negative curvature is known as a hyperbolic surface, and it has a saddle-like shape. Positive curvature is associated with spherical surfaces, and zero curvature is found on flat surfaces.