What is the Fourier transform of cos(2πf0x - π/4)?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter thatguy14
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fourier Properties
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
thatguy14
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Hi, I need help with some basic Fourier transform properties stuff - its fairly simple though I think I am doing something wrong.

So we know from the shifting property
if h(x) has the Fourier transform H(f)
then h(x-a) has the Fourier transform H(f)ei*2*π*f*a

so I have the function

cos(2πf0x - π/4)

I know (from a previous question) that the Fourier transform of cos(2πf0x) is

½[δ(f+f0) + δ(f-f0)]

where δ indicates the delta function.

so then if we factor above

cos(2πf0x - π/4)
cos(2πf0(x - 1/(8f0)))

so then shouldn't the answer be that the Fourier transform is

{½[δ(f+f0) + δ(f-f0)]} * exp(i*pi*f/(4f0)

I don't see if I did anything wrong here - and further, can this be simplified more?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?
 
part of statement starting at "so if we factor the above" is very unclear.