What is the Fourier transform of cos(2πf0x - π/4)?

In summary, the conversation is about help with basic Fourier transform properties. The shifting property is mentioned, stating that if h(x) has the Fourier transform H(f), then h(x-a) has the Fourier transform H(f)ei*2*π*f*a. The function cos(2πf0x - π/4) is provided and it is known from a previous question that the Fourier transform of cos(2πf0x) is ½[δ(f+f0) + δ(f-f0)] where δ indicates the delta function. The function is then factored to cos(2πf0(x - 1/(8f0))), leading to the conclusion that the Fourier transform is {½[δ(f+f
thatguy14
Hi, I need help with some basic Fourier transform properties stuff - its fairly simple though I think I am doing something wrong.

So we know from the shifting property
if h(x) has the Fourier transform H(f)
then h(x-a) has the Fourier transform H(f)ei*2*π*f*a

so I have the function

cos(2πf0x - π/4)

I know (from a previous question) that the Fourier transform of cos(2πf0x) is

½[δ(f+f0) + δ(f-f0)]

where δ indicates the delta function.

so then if we factor above

cos(2πf0x - π/4)
cos(2πf0(x - 1/(8f0)))

so then shouldn't the answer be that the Fourier transform is

{½[δ(f+f0) + δ(f-f0)]} * exp(i*pi*f/(4f0)

I don't see if I did anything wrong here - and further, can this be simplified more?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

part of statement starting at "so if we factor the above" is very unclear.

Related to What is the Fourier transform of cos(2πf0x - π/4)?

1. What is the Fourier Transform and how does it relate to shifting?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used to analyze signals and data in the frequency domain. It decomposes a complex signal into its individual frequency components. Shifting in the Fourier Transform refers to the process of changing the location of a signal in time or space, which results in a change in the frequency domain.

2. How does shifting affect the phase of a signal in the frequency domain?

Shifting a signal in the time domain results in a linear phase shift in the frequency domain. This means that the phase of each frequency component is shifted by a constant amount, which can be calculated using the time shift in the time domain.

3. What happens to the magnitude spectrum of a signal when it is shifted in the time domain?

Shifting a signal in the time domain does not affect the magnitude spectrum of the signal. The magnitude spectrum remains the same, only the phase spectrum is affected by shifting.

4. Can shifting be performed on both continuous and discrete signals?

Yes, shifting can be performed on both continuous and discrete signals. In continuous signals, shifting is done by changing the time or spatial location of the signal. In discrete signals, shifting is done by changing the index or time step of the signal.

5. What is the relationship between shifting and translation in the Fourier Transform?

Shifting and translation are closely related in the Fourier Transform. Shifting refers to changing the location of a signal in time or space, while translation refers to changing the origin of a signal in the frequency domain. Translation can be achieved by shifting a signal in the time or space domain, and vice versa.