What is the heat absorption of apples in a hot water bath?

In summary, a total of 82,300 apple slices are processed per hour by pushing them through a bath of hot water (kept at a constant temperature of 53 degrees Celsius) for 30 seconds. The apple slices have an area of 3500mm² and a temperature of 3 degrees Celsius. The thermal conductivity of an apple is 0.5 W/(m K). By using the formula Q/t = K*A*(T1-T2), it is estimated that approximately 43.62 kW of heat is required to maintain the bath temperature and heat the apple slices to 53 degrees Celsius. However, a more accurate final temperature of the apple slices can be determined by using a lumped capacity model or a
hilly1989
I have a problem here I am trying to solve for work. Does not need to be 100% accurate.
Apple slices are pushed through a bath of hot water to heat the outside of them for 30 seconds.

- Apple slice has an area of 3500mm² = 0.035m²
- Apple temperature is 3 degree cel
- Hot water temp = 53 deg cel. (kept constance from heat exchanger)
- Apple slices are heated for 30 seconds
- 82,300 slices per hour are processed.
- Thermal Conductivity of Apple = 0.5 W/(m K)

Im trying to find the Heat (energy transferred to the apples) - in other words, heat required by the heat exchanger to keep the bath at 53 degrees.

Here is my workings.

82,300 slices / (60*60) = 22.8 slices per second.
30 seconds bath time * 22.8 slices = 686 slices in bath at anyone time.

686 * 0.035 = 24m2 of surface area in the bath.

Q/t = K*A*(T1-T2)

Q/t= 0.5*24*50 = 600 J/s = 600W.

After looking on google, the formula I have above sometimes get divided with a distance. mainly when looking at heat losses through windows. distance = thickness. This makes sense as the units leaves me a with meter on the top. Q/t = W/(m K) * m2 * K,

So should I now divide the 600W by the average depth of a slice/2 (say 8mm)

giving me 75kW of heat being absorbed by the slices. Thats a lot of heat! (the Heat exchanger is capable of having upto 96kW provided to it, i think)

Thanks,
Anthony

Science news on Phys.org
In your formula: Q/t = K*A*(T1-T2)

Note the T2 increases and Q varies with time.

SO, you could assume in 30 seconds the apples reach 50 C. if you want to perform a transient heat transfer analyis on the applies let me know!

BUT, we can get an upper limit of the energy required as follows:

The energy to heat one apple slice:

Q = mass_apple_slice X specific heat_apple X temperature rise of apple.

THEN, with the rate you pass apples, you can figure the total input power to maintain 50C !

Let me know if you need any help.

I would follow edgepflow's idea. If you assume apples are more or less the same as water (SHC 4200J/kgC) and you know the mass of a slice you should get a reasonable upper limit for the power required.

edgepflow said:
In your formula: Q/t = K*A*(T1-T2)
The energy to heat one apple slice:
Q = mass_apple_slice X specific heat_apple X temperature rise of apple.

750 kg of apples if processed per hour
750 (kg/hr) / 82,300 (slc/hr) = 9.11 grams per slice

Q = 0.00911 * 4,200 (J/kgC) * 50 (C) = 1913 J

22.8 slices per second;
1913 *22.8 = 43.62 KJ/s = 43.62 KW

This 43.62 kW would only be reached if the apples managed to reached 53 degree, correct? But is a maximum possible consumption.

I agree with your calculation...43kW to heat this quantity of apples to 53C in 30secs.
I don't know but I imagine that in practice you would make sure that your heater could supply about 60kW to give some lee way.

Is there a way for me to determine a more accurate final temperature of the apples?
I don't think the whole slice heats up to 53 degrees.

hilly1989 said:
750 kg of apples if processed per hour
750 (kg/hr) / 82,300 (slc/hr) = 9.11 grams per slice

Q = 0.00911 * 4,200 (J/kgC) * 50 (C) = 1913 J

22.8 slices per second;
1913 *22.8 = 43.62 KJ/s = 43.62 KW

This 43.62 kW would only be reached if the apples managed to reached 53 degree, correct? But is a maximum possible consumption.
I came up with 38 kW - so I think your numbers are good. That is a lot of power, but that is a lot of apples.

hilly1989 said:
Is there a way for me to determine a more accurate final temperature of the apples?
I don't think the whole slice heats up to 53 degrees.
Yes, you could start with a simple lumped capacity model if the Biot number < 0.1. Otherwise, we have to move to some 1D models.

1. How does heat absorption affect the ripening process of apples?

Heat absorption plays a crucial role in the ripening process of apples. When apples are exposed to heat, their internal temperature increases, which triggers enzymes to break down starches into sugars. This process is known as ripening, and it is essential for apples to become sweeter and more flavorful.

2. Can heat absorption cause apples to spoil faster?

Yes, heat absorption can cause apples to spoil faster. When apples are exposed to heat, they release ethylene gas, which speeds up the ripening process. If apples are not stored properly, this can lead to over-ripening and spoilage. It is best to keep apples in a cool and dry place to slow down the ripening process.

3. Does the color of an apple affect its heat absorption?

Yes, the color of an apple can affect its heat absorption. Darker colored apples, such as red or purple, absorb more heat than lighter colored apples, such as yellow or green. This is because darker colors absorb more light and convert it into heat energy.

4. How does heat absorption affect the nutritional value of apples?

Heat absorption can affect the nutritional value of apples in two ways. Firstly, heat can cause apples to lose some of their water-soluble vitamins, such as vitamin C. Secondly, heat can also break down some of the beneficial compounds in apples, such as antioxidants. Therefore, it is best to consume apples raw or lightly cooked to retain their nutritional value.

5. Can heat absorption change the texture of apples?

Yes, heat absorption can change the texture of apples. When apples are exposed to heat, their cell walls soften, making them easier to chew. This is why cooked apples have a softer texture than raw apples. However, excessive heat can also cause apples to become mushy or mealy, so it is essential to cook them at the right temperature for the desired texture.