What is the integral of a vector field with the divergence theorem?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
SpY]
Messages
63
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Evaluate the integral
[tex]\int\limits_{V=\infty} e^{-r} \left[ \nabla \cdot \frac {\widehat{r}} {r^2} \right] , d^3 x[/tex]

Homework Equations


Divergence theorem:
[tex]\int\limits_{V} \left ( \nabla \cdot A \right ) \, d^3 x<br /> = \oint\limits_{S} A \cdot \, da}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I know that I have to apply the div theorem somewhere, but this [tex]e^{-r}[/tex] is confusing and what does it mean if the lower limit V is infinity?
I haven't seen the integral of [tex]\frac{1}{e^r}[/tex] before but I'm kinda guessing
[tex]\int \frac{1}{e^r} \, dr <br /> = \frac{1}{e^r} \int \frac{1}{u} \frac{du}{e^r}<br /> = ln(e^r)<br /> = r[/tex]
where I used a substitution [tex]u=e^r[/tex] and [tex]du= e^r dr[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the divergence of vec(r)/r^2?

ehild
 
It's defined as
[tex]4 \pi \delta x \delta y \delta z[/tex]

but then I don't know how to apply Stokes' (which I guess to use because of the [tex]d^3 x[/tex] and V in the integral. Could I split it into a triple integral and [tex]\delta x dx[/tex] at a time?
 
I know that I have to apply the div theorem somewhere, but this [tex]e^{-r}[/tex] is confusing and what does it mean if the lower limit V is infinity?
I haven't seen the integral of [tex]\frac{1}{e^r}[/tex] before but I'm kinda guessing
[tex]\int \frac{1}{e^r} \, dr <br /> = \frac{1}{e^r} \int \frac{1}{u} \frac{du}{e^r}<br /> = ln(e^r)<br /> = r[/tex]
where I used a substitution [tex]u=e^r[/tex] and [tex]du= e^r dr[/tex]

This is wrong.

[tex]\frac{1}{e^r} = e^{-r}[/tex]

[tex]\int e^{-r} dr[/tex]

[tex]u=-r, du=-dr, -du=dr[/tex]

[tex]\int -e^u du = -e^u = -e^{-r} = \frac{-1}{e^r}[/tex]

The integral of e^-r isn't r, as that would imply that e^-r is a constant number.
 
I agree, my above reasoning was useless

Ok so I can integrate the [tex]e^-r[/tex] but I don't think that really matters when there's a delta in the integral... my main problem is how to solve a third order delta integral, probably using the Divergence theorem because of the third order and volume. So we have

[tex]4 pi \int_{V=\infty} e^{-r} {\delta}^3 x z d^3 x[/tex]