What is the key to solving this two and three force members problem?

In summary, the problem asks for the reaction force necessary to keep a structure in equilibrium when a load is applied. The key to solving this problem is understanding the different hinges involved and the bending moment at the location of the reaction.
Lmck33

Homework Statement

Hi, I've been looking over this problem and I can't manage to find a suitable approach to such a question :S maybe you could help me out. The structure can be seen in the given image.

As shown, a load of magnitude is applied to a structure. Assuming that all members are weightless and that ABEF and BCD are rigid bodies, find the magnitudes of the reactions at D and G needed to maintain the structure in equilibrium.

Assume the following values: a = 4.50m , b = 3.00m , and P = 110N .

Homework Equations

Equilibrium equations..

The Attempt at a Solution

No attemps..

Attachments

• 1125606_08.jpg
    1125606_08.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,511
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
thanks for the overwhelming help :D i managed to work it out by myself.

I know you did this problem long ago, but if you still understand how to do it, could you please explain? I am very lost

where could i find how to this problem?!

:smile:
Ady1219 said:
where could i find how to this problem?!

Hi, Ady1219, welcome to Physics Forums! :smile:
Looks like lmck33 couldn't wait a day for the help, so he may still be a bit heated. Hint: Can you identify a 2 force member in this problem? There are two of them. A 2-force member is one in which forces are applied at the ends of the member only, with no forces in between, and as a result, the 2 forces on these members must be equal and opposite and point toward each other from one end to the other, from equilibrium considerations.

Hi guys

I really need help with that Question, I really don't how to find the reaction force acting D and G. I have Identified all the 2 and 3 force members so far but still haven't got enought skill to find the solution.

anyone keen to explain to me will be great !.

The key to this problem is to understand the difference between the hinge at E and the hinge at F. Whereas ABEF is a bar with various moments in it, especially at E because it is continuous there, F is different. What do you know about the bending moment at F? How does that help you find the reaction at G?

Related to What is the key to solving this two and three force members problem?

What are two and three force members?

Two and three force members are structural elements in a system that are acted upon by two or three external forces, respectively. These forces can be either tensile or compressive in nature.

How do I identify a two or three force member in a system?

To identify a two or three force member, you must first draw a free body diagram of the entire system. Then, look for any structural elements that are only connected to two or three other elements, and have forces acting on them from only two or three directions.

What is the significance of two and three force members in structural analysis?

Two and three force members are important because they allow for the analysis of a larger system to be simplified. By treating these elements as single entities, the overall structural analysis becomes more manageable and accurate.

Can a two or three force member be in equilibrium?

Yes, a two or three force member can be in equilibrium if the external forces acting on it are balanced. This means that the sum of all the forces acting on the member in any direction must be equal to zero.

What are some real-life examples of two and three force members?

Some common examples of two force members include beams, cables, and ropes. Three force members can be seen in structures such as trusses, frames, and arches.