What is the largest mass that can be placed on the spring

In summary, the largest mass that can be placed on the spring without damaging it is 0.153kg. This can be solved using a force analysis, finding the mass that puts the system in static equilibrium at the spring's maximum extension. Energy equations can also be used, but are not necessary in this case.
jaron

Homework Statement

the spring in a typical hooke's law apparatus has a force constant of 1.50 N/m and a maximum extension of 10cm. what is the largest mass that can be placed on the spring without damaging it?

Homework Equations

what i believe to be relevant:
F=-kx
W=F"d
E=mg(h)

The Attempt at a Solution

F=1.5(0.10)
F=0.15

W=F"d
W=0.15(0.10)
W=0.015J

0.015=m(9.81)(0.10)
0.015/0.981=m
m=0.0153kg <----------- answer

now i have no idea how this can be wrong.. i have gone over it many times now.
my textbook has it as 0.153kg.
am i right on this one?

Physics news on Phys.org

jaron said:

Homework Statement

the spring in a typical hooke's law apparatus has a force constant of 1.50 N/m and a maximum extension of 10cm. what is the largest mass that can be placed on the spring without damaging it?

Homework Equations

what i believe to be relevant:
F=-kx
W=F"d
E=mg(h)

The Attempt at a Solution

F=1.5(0.10)
F=0.15

W=F"d
W=0.15(0.10)
W=0.015J

0.015=m(9.81)(0.10)
0.015/0.981=m
m=0.0153kg <----------- answer

now i have no idea how this can be wrong.. i have gone over it many times now.
my textbook has it as 0.153kg.
am i right on this one?

I was able to solve this by using a force analysis. You don't need to even use energy.

Try finding what mass puts the system in static equilibrium at the spring's maximum extension and solve for mass.

There might be a way to solve it with the energy equations, but I don't really see a need to go that route. The only thing I can see is if you go that direction, the force exerted by the spring isn't constant, it's a function of x. But like I said, you don't even need to go that route.

Draw a free body diagram and the answer should be obvious.

I would say that your calculation is correct. However, it is important to note that the maximum mass that can be placed on the spring without damaging it may also depend on other factors such as the material and strength of the spring itself. It is always important to consider all relevant factors when making calculations and conclusions in scientific experiments. Additionally, it may be helpful to double check your calculations and consult with other resources to ensure accuracy.

1. What is the largest mass that can be placed on the spring?

The largest mass that can be placed on a spring is determined by the stiffness of the spring and the force of gravity acting on the mass. Generally, the larger the spring constant, the greater the mass that can be added before the spring reaches its maximum extension.

2. How does the stiffness of the spring affect the maximum mass it can hold?

The stiffness of a spring, measured by its spring constant, determines how much force is required to stretch or compress the spring. A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer and can hold a larger mass before reaching its maximum extension.

3. Can the maximum mass that a spring can hold change?

Yes, the maximum mass that a spring can hold can change depending on various factors such as the material of the spring, the temperature, and the amount of wear on the spring. These factors can affect the stiffness of the spring and therefore the maximum mass it can hold.

4. Is there a limit to how much a spring can stretch?

Yes, there is a limit to how much a spring can stretch, known as the elastic limit. Once a spring reaches its elastic limit, it will no longer return to its original shape and may break. The maximum mass that can be placed on a spring is typically below its elastic limit to prevent damage.

5. How does gravity affect the maximum mass that can be placed on a spring?

Gravity plays a significant role in determining the maximum mass that can be placed on a spring. The force of gravity pulling down on the mass must be counteracted by the force of the spring pushing up for the mass to remain in equilibrium. If the force of gravity exceeds the spring force, the spring will be unable to hold the mass and will reach its maximum extension.