What is the magnetic field at point P in a current loop?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of the magnetic field at point P in a current loop using the equation B=√2μ0i/8pia. The person is having trouble with part b and asks for help. The solution involves adding up the fields from each wire, taking into account the direction of the current and the 1/r^2 relationship of the B field.
luxmundi

Homework Statement

A current is in a straight conductor of length a.
a. Show that the magnitude of the magnetic field at point P is B=√2μ0i/8pia .
b. Use the result of part a. to find the magnetic field at point P in the current loop below
(magnitude and direction).

http://postimg.org/image/toaspcmfl/
[url=http://postimg.org/image/toaspcmfl/][img=http://s16.postimg.org/toaspcmfl/Untitled.jpg][/url]

Homework Equations

B=√2μ0i/8pia

The Attempt at a Solution

I have part a, its just that I am having trouble going about part b, any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the two sections of the wire where the current points directly toward or away from P aren't going to matter, right, since i X r is zero. For the other sections, youre going to just add up the fields from each wire. You found the field for one of them in part a, and the others have similar geometries so they shouldn't be too bad. Remember that the B field goes as 1/r2!

Related to What is the magnetic field at point P in a current loop?

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and can be influenced by other magnetic fields.

2. How is a magnetic field measured?

A magnetic field is measured using a device called a magnetometer, which can detect the strength and direction of the field. The unit of measurement for magnetic field is Tesla (T).

3. What affects the strength of a magnetic field on point P?

The strength of a magnetic field on point P is affected by the magnitude of the magnetic field source, the distance from the source, and the orientation of the magnetic field lines relative to point P.

4. How does a magnetic field affect charged particles at point P?

A magnetic field exerts a force on charged particles at point P, causing them to move in a circular or helical path. The direction and strength of the force depend on the charge and velocity of the particle, as well as the orientation and strength of the magnetic field.

5. Can a magnetic field be shielded or blocked at point P?

Yes, a magnetic field can be shielded or blocked at point P by using materials with high magnetic permeability, such as iron or mu-metal. These materials can redirect the magnetic field lines and reduce its strength at point P.