What is the Mass of the Stone and Tension in the Wire?

• Thread starter sreya
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a stone suspended on a wire wrapped around a pulley. The pulley is a uniform disk with a mass of 11.8kg and radius of 55.0cm, turning on frictionless bearings. The stone travels a distance of 12.7m in 2.80s, starting from rest. The goal is to find the mass of the stone and the tension in the wire. Using work and kinetic energy theorem, kinematics, and possibly torque, the solution is determined. The final mass of the stone is found to be equal to half the product of the mass of the wheel, the acceleration of gravity, and the radius of the wheel, divided by the difference between the acceleration of
sreya

Homework Statement

A stone is suspended from the free end of a wire that is wrapped around the outer rim of a pulley, as shown in the figure (see the figure (Figure 1) ). The pulley is a uniform disk with mass 11.8kg and radius 55.0cm and turns on frictionless bearings. You measure that the stone travels a distance 12.7m during a time interval of 2.80s starting from rest.

Find the mass of the stone.

Find the tension in the wire.

Figure 1

Homework Equations

Work Kinetic Energy Theorem
Kinematics
Torque(maybe?)

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]a_{stone}=\frac{2\Delta X}{t^2}=3.24[/itex]
[itex]T=m_{stone}g-m_{stone?}a[/itex]
[itex]\Delta K = W_{wheel} + W_g=0[/itex]
[itex]\Delta K = \frac{I\omega_f^2}{2}+W_g[/itex]
[itex]\omega = \alpha t [/itex] ??

And that's where I got stuck, I don't know how to derive the final angular velocity

Take 2:

Okay so after going back to drawing board my thinking is this: the stone acts as a torque on the wheel so

[itex]\tau=rFsin\theta=Tr=\frac{1}{2}*M_{wheel}r^2\alpha[/itex]

[itex]T=\frac{M_{wheel}r\alpha}{2}[/itex]

[itex]T=mg-ma=>\frac{M_{wheel}r\alpha}{2}=m(g-a)[/itex]

[itex]a=a_t=\alpha r => \alpha = a/r[/itex]

[itex]\frac{M_{wheel}a}{2(g-a)}=m[/itex]

solve for m

That ended up being the right answer

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You left out the part of the question that asks a question. What are you trying to calculate?

Added

The first two lines of your solution look right to me. The third line doesn't. Why would ΔK be zero? The final angular velocity is related to the final speed by the no slip condition v=ωR.

Conservation of energy? I wasn't sure if I could apply that due to the torque but it's the only way I could think of to figure out mass.

Edit:

Okay so after going back to drawing board my thinking is this: the stone acts as a torque on the wheel so

[itex]\tau=Tr=\frac{1}{2}*M_{wheel}r^2\alpha[/itex]

[itex]T=\frac{M_{wheel}r\alpha}{2}[/itex]

[itex]T=mg-ma=>\frac{M_{wheel}r\alpha}{2}=m(g-a)[/itex]

[itex]a=a_t=\alpha r => \alpha = a/r[/itex]

[itex]\frac{M_{wheel}a}{2(g-a)}=m[/itex]

solve for m

That ended up being the right answer

Last edited:

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force on an object. It is the product of the force applied and the distance from the pivot point or axis of rotation.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the pivot point or axis of rotation. The unit of torque is newton-meters (Nm) in the metric system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

3. What factors affect torque?

The two main factors that affect torque are the magnitude of the force applied and the distance from the pivot point or axis of rotation. The direction of the force also plays a role in determining the direction of the resulting torque.

4. What is the difference between torque and rotational inertia?

While torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate, rotational inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. In simpler terms, torque is the cause of rotation, while rotational inertia is the object's response to that force.

5. How is torque used in real-world applications?

Torque is used in many real-world applications, such as engines, motors, and machines. It is also important in sports, such as in the swinging motion of a golf club or the spinning of a figure skater. Additionally, torque is used in physics and engineering to analyze and design rotational systems.