What is the material that allows transverse but not longitudinal waves?

In summary, scientists in the early 20th century and late 19th century thought that there was an aether for light to travel through, but found out that EM waves are actually transverse. They had to come up with a way to account for the fact that there were no longitudinal light waves, and proposed that material allowed transverse waves but not longitudinal ones. However, modern aether theorists admit that this idea is unphysical and that light does not travel through a physical medium.
Locrian
I'm working problems on vibrations in crystal lattice for solid state, and a thought occurred to me. Early 20th century and late 19th century scientists supposed an aether for light to pass through. It seemed reasonable at the time - waves travel in a media.

However, EM waves are transverse. How did they (or did they?) account for the fact that there were no longitudinal light waves?

Another take on the question is this: what material allows transverse but not longitudinal waves? Am I missing something simple?

Physics news on Phys.org
Locrian said:
I'm working problems on vibrations in crystal lattice for solid state, and a thought occurred to me. Early 20th century and late 19th century scientists supposed an aether for light to pass through. It seemed reasonable at the time - waves travel in a media.

However, EM waves are transverse. How did they (or did they?) account for the fact that there were no longitudinal light waves?

Hum... I'm not sure why they would need to account for light being only a transverse wave. After all, back then, sound waves was only longitudinal. So if something can be only longitudinal, why can't light be only transverse?

Another take on the question is this: what material allows transverse but not longitudinal waves? Am I missing something simple?

I can't come up with something off the top of my head. Maybe someone else has an obvious example.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I can't come up with something off the top of my head. Maybe someone else has an obvious example.

Waves on the surface of a liquid, perhaps? But that's not exactly "in a media" the way the OP wants.

cesiumfrog said:
Waves on the surface of a liquid, perhaps? But that's not exactly "in a media" the way the OP wants.

I guess if you consider different types of waves propagating in (or using) the same medium, that would certain qualify. I don't know of any in which the same type of waves in the same medium have both transverse and longitudinal.

This is not a medium, but phonons have both "optical" and "acoustic" modes/branches.

Zz.

There is no known material that can support transverse displacement oscillations. But a lattice that has an O(3) member at each node can support tranverse 'spin' waves.

ZapperZ said:
After all, back then, sound waves was only longitudinal.

Can't sound waves in a solid medium be either transverse or longitudinal? Seismic waves, which are sort of like sound, can be either transverse or longitudinal (S and P waves). I don't know when that was discovered, though.

Yes, I could be wrong.

"A new sample holder for excitation of transverse sound waves" Applied Physics A (2002)

A simple non-resonant sample holder with inclined electrodes is described by means of which transverse sound waves in the GHz range are easily generated by an evaporated piezoelectric layer. Because of its small size it is especially well suited for cryostat applications.

I'm not sure if the 'transverse' above just refers to the sample orientation. GHz sound ?

[Edit-------------------------------------------------------------------]
From here

http://www.seismo.unr.edu/ftp/pub/louie/class/100/seismic-waves.html

I learn that P-waves are compression waves like sound, but S-waves are shear waves, like a carpet being shaken. So not sound.

Modern aether theorists admit that it has to be unphysical to carry the two transverse components, and also have non-local causality.

Last edited:
If the ether (space) is in tension, it can support transverse waves - just as does a stretched string. Robertson and others have explained cosmological red shift as a stretching of space ..There was an interesting theory by MacCullagh (1839) that treated particles as dislocations (voids in the continuum) which gave a decent account of light propagation

Thanks for your replies! They've given me a direction for more research in the topic.

1. What is the aether theory in history?

The aether theory was a hypothesis in the 19th century that proposed the existence of a medium, called aether, through which light and other electromagnetic waves could travel. It was believed to be a necessary component to explain the propagation of light in a vacuum.

2. Who first proposed the aether theory?

The aether theory was first proposed by the ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle. He believed that the universe was composed of four elements: earth, air, fire, and a fifth element called aether, which was responsible for the movement of celestial bodies.

3. What evidence was used to support the aether theory?

One of the main pieces of evidence used to support the aether theory was the observation of the speed of light. Scientists believed that since light traveled in a straight line, it must be moving through a medium, and that medium was aether. Other evidence included the belief that aether was necessary for the propagation of electromagnetic waves.

4. Why did the aether theory fall out of favor?

The aether theory was eventually disproven in the late 19th and early 20th centuries through various experiments, including the Michelson-Morley experiment. This experiment showed that the speed of light was constant in all directions, regardless of the Earth's motion, which contradicted the aether theory. Additionally, the development of Einstein's theory of relativity provided a more accurate explanation of the propagation of light.

5. Is the aether theory still relevant in modern science?

No, the aether theory is no longer considered a valid scientific theory. It has been replaced by the theory of relativity, which has been extensively tested and proven to accurately explain the behavior of light and other electromagnetic waves. However, the concept of aether is still sometimes referenced in philosophical and metaphysical discussions about the nature of the universe.