What is the maximum acceleration for an elevator during normal operation?

In summary: So you need to know the mass of the person to calculate the exact acceleration. In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the maximum acceleration for an elevator during normal operation. The individual stands on a scale while the elevator goes up, and the scale reading increases by a maximum of 25lbs. Using an equation from a textbook, the individual determines that the max acceleration is 25/m, or 8.05 ft/s^2 upwards. This calculation is based on an assumed weight of 100lbs, but using a different weight would yield a different acceleration.
mcgooskie
This should be a simple problem, but I think I'm making it harder than it is.

In this problem, I am interested in maximum acceleration for an elevator during normal operation. While the elevator is at rest, on the ground floor, I get in, put down my bathroom scale and stand on it. I continue standing while the elevator is going up. During my trip to the 45th floor, the scale reading increases by a max of 25lbs.

Assumptions:
It doesn't matter what floor you go to.
When the elevator accelerated upward, the apparent weight is greater than mg by the amount ma. It's as if gravity were increased from g to g+a.

According to an equation I found in my textbook...
Fn-mg=ma (where a is in the y direction)
Fn=mg+ma (where Fn is the reading on the scale, the apparent weight)

Since the reading is given in lbs, I am going to use 32.2ft/s^2 for gravity.
I am going to start with an arbitrary weight of 100lbs, which would give a max weight of 125lbs.
And W=mg so...100lbs=(m)(32.2ft/s^2)=3.11slugs

Fn=mg+ma
125lbs=(3.11slugs)(32.2ft/s^2)+(3.11slugs)(a ft/s^2)
125lbs-100.14lbs=(3.11slugs)(a ft/s^2)
24.86lbs=(3.11slugs)(a ft/s^2)
7.99ft/s^2=a

If I did the problem right...
Is 7.99ft/s^2 my answer for max acceleration? Or do i add that to 32.2ft/s^2 for a max acceleration of 40.19ft/s^2?

Thanks! Kelli

Physics news on Phys.org
mcgooskie said:
If I did the problem right...
Is 7.99ft/s^2 my answer for max acceleration? Or do i add that to 32.2ft/s^2 for a max acceleration of 40.19ft/s^2?
You did the problem correctly. (But see my steps below.) You calculated the max acceleration (assuming a 100 lb weight). Why would you add it to g? (g is the acceleration of a freely falling body--the elevator isn't falling, is it?)

Here's how I'd do it:

Fn - mg = ma
(mg + 25) - mg = ma
25 = ma

a = 25/m = 25 (32.2/100) = 8.05 ft/s^2 (upwards)

Do I need to even assume a 100lb weight? What if i used a weight different than 100lbs, wouldn't that affect the acceleration?

mcgooskie said:
Do I need to even assume a 100lb weight? What if i used a weight different than 100lbs, wouldn't that affect the acceleration?
Yes it would. The same net force (25 lbs) acting on a different mass would yield a different acceleration.

Related to What is the maximum acceleration for an elevator during normal operation?

1. How do elevators accelerate?

Elevators accelerate using a system of cables, pulleys, and a motor. The motor pulls the cables, which in turn moves the elevator car up or down. The speed of acceleration is controlled by the motor and can be adjusted for different elevators.

2. What is the maximum acceleration of an elevator?

The maximum acceleration of an elevator varies depending on the type of elevator and its speed. However, most modern elevators have a maximum acceleration of around 0.5-1.0 meters per second squared.

3. Can elevators decelerate?

Yes, elevators can decelerate using the same system of cables, pulleys, and motor. The motor slows down the movement of the elevator car, allowing it to stop at a desired floor. The rate of deceleration is controlled by the motor and can also be adjusted for different elevators.

4. How does the weight of passengers affect the acceleration of an elevator?

The weight of passengers does affect the acceleration of an elevator. The more weight in the elevator car, the more force is needed from the motor to accelerate the elevator. However, most elevators are designed to handle a certain weight limit, so the effect on acceleration may be minimal.

5. Why do elevators sometimes feel like they are accelerating or decelerating faster than they actually are?

This is due to a psychological effect known as "elevator inertia." When an elevator starts to move, our bodies are still in a state of rest. As the elevator accelerates, our bodies tend to remain in a state of rest until we reach the same speed as the elevator. This creates the sensation of being pushed down into the floor of the elevator, giving the illusion of faster acceleration. The same effect happens when the elevator stops, making it feel like it is decelerating faster than it actually is.