What is the Maximum Angle for a Crutch to Not Slip on the Ground?

In summary, the question asks to determine the largest angle that a crutch can have before it begins to slip on the ground, given the coefficient of static friction between the crutch and the ground is 0.90. The person in the drawing is standing on crutches, with the force exerted on each crutch by the ground directed along the crutch. The initial attempt at a solution involves using the equations Fup= Fdown, Fright= Fleft, and Fnet=0, but it is realized that this does not account for the person's weight. A revised solution involves looking at the vertical net force, which can be expressed as 0 = 2F cos θ - mg. By setting μm
----md
Hi All- Hope you can help me :|

Homework Statement

The person in the drawing is standing on crutches. Assume that the force exerted on each crutch by the ground is directed along the crutch, as the force vectors in the drawing indicate. If the coefficient of static friction between a crutch and the ground is 0.90, determine the largest angle θMAX that the crutch can have just before it begins to slip on the floor.

crutches.PNG

Homework Equations

Fup= Fdown
Fright= Fleft
Fnet=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured the for each crutch
Fy = N= 1/2mg + FcosΘ
Fx= μsN=FsinΘ
But I end up with mg and no way to eliminate it?

I know I am missing some important detail- but as with many force problems, I can't visualize it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It appears from the picture that the person is standing on one of his legs in addition to the two crutches. So wouldn't there be 3 upward forces: normal force on his leg, and 2F cos ##\theta##?

Likes 1 person
Does that mean that because he is standing- his weight isn't a factor in the upwards forces- because it gets canceled out? and the only net force is the vertical component of the crutch?

Upon thinking some more, assuming that he's supporting himself on one leg plus 2 crutches doesn't seem to help. For the moment, let's assume that he's supporting himself entirely on the two crutches only. With this assumption, let's take a look at the vertical net force:

Fnet(y) = 0 = 2F cos ##\theta## - mg

Now, I'm unsure how you derived the following: Fy = N= 1/2mg + FcosΘ. Can you explain your thought process?

I realized my mistake. SO I was assuming that the F of the crutches are like an external force. But its just a component of the mg. So

I set it up as μmgsinθ=mgcosθ -> .9 tan-1= θ

Thanks.

----md said:
I realized my mistake. SO I was assuming that the F of the crutches are like an external force. But its just a component of the mg. So

I set it up as μmgsinθ=mgcosθ -> .9 tan-1= θ

Thanks.

Just a sec, ##.9 tan^{-1}= θ## isn't a valid equation. Do you mean ##tan^{-1}(.9)=\theta##?

1. What is meant by "forces in equilibrium"?

"Forces in equilibrium" refers to a state in which all the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in a net force of zero. In other words, the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

2. How can we determine if forces are in equilibrium?

To determine if forces are in equilibrium, we can use the principle of vector addition. This involves adding all the individual forces acting on the object, taking into account their magnitudes and directions. If the resulting sum is zero, the forces are in equilibrium.

3. What are some real-life examples of forces in equilibrium?

Some real-life examples of forces in equilibrium include a book sitting on a table, a person standing still on the ground, and a car driving at a constant speed on a straight road.

4. How does the concept of equilibrium apply to structures?

In structures, equilibrium is crucial for maintaining stability and preventing collapse. Engineers must ensure that all the forces acting on a structure are balanced in order to prevent any one component from experiencing an unbalanced force and potentially failing.

5. Can forces in equilibrium change over time?

Yes, forces in equilibrium can change over time if any of the forces acting on the object change. For example, if a person standing on a balance board shifts their weight, the forces acting on the board will change and it will no longer be in equilibrium.