What is the maximum solution for the given differential equation?

In summary, the given differential equation is solved using separation of variables and integration. The resulting expression is then differentiated with respect to alpha to find the maximum solution.
mathboy20

Homework Statement

Dear Friends,

Given the differential equation

[tex]\frac{1}{1+x^2} \frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{\alpha \cdot 2 \pi}{4} \cdot cos(t)[/tex]

with the condition that x(0) = 0

Then find the largest possible solution (this is how its stated) if either

[tex]\alpha_{1} = 1/2[/tex]

[tex]\alpha_{2} = 1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't I treat the above as a seperable differential equation?

Such that

[tex]{(\frac{1}{1+x^2})}^{-1})} \frac{dx}{dt} = {({\frac{\alpha \cdot 2 \pi}{4} \cdot cos(t)})}^{-1}[/tex]

[tex]1+x^2 dx = \frac{2}{\alpha \cdot \pi \cdot cos(t)} dt[/tex]

[tex]\int x^2 dx = \int \frac{2}{\alpha \cdot \pi \cdot cos(t)} -1 \ dt + C[/tex]

[tex] \frac{x^3}{3} = \frac{2 \cdot ln(\frac{-cos(t)}{sin(t)-1}- \alpha \cdot \pi \cdot (t-C)}{\alpha \cdot \pi}[/tex]

[tex] x^3 = 3 \cdot (\frac{2 \cdot ln(\frac{-cos(t)}{sin(t)-1}- \alpha \cdot \pi \cdot (t-C)}{\alpha \cdot \pi})[/tex]

[tex] x(t) = (3 \cdot (\frac{2 \cdot ln(\frac{-cos(t)}{sin(t)-1}- \alpha \cdot \pi \cdot (t-C)}{\alpha \cdot \pi})^{\frac{1}{3}}[/tex]

if I then insert x(0) = 0.

I get C = 0. Then this means that max solution is 0??

I just want to be sure. Can anybody please look at my result at then inform me. Have done this correctly?

Thank You in Advance

Fred

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
\frac{1}{1+x^2} \frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{\alpha \cdot 2 \pi}{4} \cdot cos(t)
[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{1}{1+x^2}dx=\frac{\alpha \cdot 2 \pi}{4} \cdot cos(t) dt[/tex]

Now just integrate both sides.

rock.freak667 said:
[tex]
\frac{1}{1+x^2} \frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{\alpha \cdot 2 \pi}{4} \cdot cos(t)
[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{1}{1+x^2}dx=\frac{\alpha \cdot 2 \pi}{4} \cdot cos(t) dt[/tex]

Now just integrate both sides.

I then get

[tex]tan(x)^{-1} = \frac{\alpha \cdot 2 \pi}{4} \cdot sin(t) [/tex]

I then take arctan on both sides of equation to arrive at a solution? with regards to the two alpha's?

mathboy20 said:
I then get

I then take arctan on both sides of equation to arrive at a solution? with regards to the two alpha's?

I meant to I take tan on each side of the equation, and thusly obtain x(t) = ??

and then by choosing either alpha1 or alpha2 see which of these gives largest possible solution?

mathboy20 said:
I then get

You mean tan-1(x) or arctan(x). There is no need to solve for x(t). Just differentiate with respect to [itex]\alpha[/itex] to find a maximum.

HallsofIvy said:
You mean tan-1(x) or arctan(x). There is no need to solve for x(t). Just differentiate with respect to [itex]\alpha[/itex] to find a maximum.

Dear Mister Hallsoft,

Just to be clear I find the derivative with respect to alpha of the original expression

[tex]\frac{1}{(x^2+1)} dx = \frac{\alpha \cdot 2 \pi}{4} \cdot cos(t) dt[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-2x}{x^4 + 2x^2 +1} = \frac{\pi \cdot cos(t)}{4}[/tex]

and then insert the two alpha values to obtain the maximum??

Best Regards

Mathboy

Last edited:

Related to What is the maximum solution for the given differential equation?

What is a differential equation problem?

A differential equation problem is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves finding the unknown function that satisfies the given equation. Differential equations are widely used in science and engineering to model dynamic systems.

What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve a single independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations describe the behavior of a single variable over time, while partial differential equations describe the behavior of multiple variables at a specific point in time.

What are the different types of differential equations?

The main types of differential equations are ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, and stochastic differential equations. Ordinary differential equations can be further divided into linear and nonlinear equations, while partial differential equations can be classified as hyperbolic, parabolic, and elliptic equations.

How are differential equations used in real life?

Differential equations are used to model and analyze a wide range of phenomena in various fields such as physics, biology, economics, and engineering. They are used to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems and make informed decisions based on the results.

What are some common methods for solving differential equation problems?

Some common methods for solving differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, power series, and numerical methods. The choice of method depends on the type and complexity of the equation, as well as the desired level of accuracy in the solution.