Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the meaning in the 144 Optical Fiber Cable? Especially why 144

1. Jan 28, 2014 #1
    During studying the telecom underground cable network I came across the Optical Fiber Cable having the 144 fibers (single mode).
    I want to know why 144?
    Is this a Some standard to have 144 fibers in one cable?
    I have also viewed some of the datasheet having 144 fibers Optical Fiber Cable.

I think it might be like that in a single 144 core fibers we avail SDH, Telecommunications and also some fiber spare for future use.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2014 #2
    Fiber optic cables come in 12 strand increments (with some exceptions). Large outside plant cables are built with 12 strands within a "tube" then up to 24 tubes in the cable surrounding a central strength member (among other things).

Fiber patch panels are also designed for increments of 12.

4. Jan 29, 2014 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

19 is another magic number with cables (and 19 is, at first sight, even more random). The geometry of 'circles' allows you to fit 19 round cables into a cylinder, so it's the number of strands commonly in steel cable (for rigging etc) and in copper conductors. (1 in the centre, then layers of 6 and 12).
    32 is the next in the series . . . .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook