What is the method for calculating the breaking stress of brittle steel?

• Thread starter german1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Steel
In summary, steel breaks when it exceeds its yield strength, which is affected by factors such as its chemical composition, manufacturing process, heat treatment, and external forces. To test the strength of steel, tension, compression, or bending tests are typically used. Steel can be made stronger through methods such as adding alloying elements, heat treatment, and cold working. Common reasons for steel breaking include overloading, fatigue, material defects, and corrosion.
german1234
Hi

If I was to heat a steel rod that is brittle...then clamp it at both ends and allow it to cool to a certain lower temperature at which it breaks, how would I go about calculating the breaking stress of the steel. [ I know value of E and alpha]

Thanks for any help you supply.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts first?

Why would it break rather than simply stretch according to Hookes law?

I mean what is your proposed failure mechanism?

Related to What is the method for calculating the breaking stress of brittle steel?

1. How does steel break?

Steel breaks when it exceeds its yield strength, which is the maximum amount of stress it can handle before permanently deforming or breaking. This can be caused by excessive force, fatigue, or a combination of both.

2. What factors affect the strength of steel?

The strength of steel can be affected by its chemical composition, manufacturing process, heat treatment, and any external forces applied to it. The presence of impurities or defects can also weaken the steel's strength.

3. How do you test the strength of steel?

The strength of steel is typically tested through tension, compression, or bending tests. These tests involve applying controlled amounts of force to the steel and measuring its response, such as how much it can stretch or how much weight it can support.

4. Can steel be made stronger?

Yes, steel can be made stronger through various methods such as adding alloying elements, heat treatment, and cold working. These processes can increase the steel's yield strength, making it less likely to break under stress.

5. What are some common reasons for steel breaking?

Some common reasons for steel breaking include overloading, fatigue from repeated stress, material defects, and improper design or installation. Corrosion can also weaken steel over time, making it more susceptible to breaking.