What Is the Minimum Average Speed Required to Catch the Ball?

In summary, the problem involves lofting a ball with an initial speed of 13.5 m/s at an angle of 48.5°, while the opponent stands 10.0 m away and begins moving after 0.350 s. The goal is to reach the ball when it is 2.11 m above its launch point, and the minimum average speed needed for the opponent to do so must be calculated. The attempt at a solution involved using equations for final velocity and distance traveled to find the time it takes for the ball to reach the desired height, and then using that time to calculate the velocity needed for the opponent to reach the ball at the same height. However, the suggested starting point is to calculate the distance
sdrohrig

Homework Statement

Suppose that you loft the ball with an initial speed of v = 13.5 m/s, at an angle of θ = 48.5° above the horizontal. At this instant your opponent is d = 10.0 m away from the ball. He begins moving away from you 0.350 s later, hoping to reach the ball and hit it back at the moment that it is h = 2.11 m above its launch point. With what minimum average speed must he move? (Ignore the fact that he can stretch, so that his racket can reach the ball before he does.

Homework Equations

Final V=Initial V - gt

s=ut+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I made a right triangle and plugged in the initial velocity and the degree. (I'm not sure if that was a good first step.) Then I tried to find the time by using the first equation. I plugged 0 in for the final velocity and 13.5 for initial velocity. I got t=1.38. Then I plugged in my numbers for find the distance and got 27.97, then subtracted by the height (2.11). I used that number to plug into s=1/2gt^2 to get the falling time. I added my times and divided the distance by it to get velocity.

I've been doing this problem over and over, so now I'm just confusing myself. Can you please give me a good starting point or tell me where I am going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate distance that ball has to cover before it will be at 2.11m - that will allow you to calculate distance your opponent has to cover.

Related to What Is the Minimum Average Speed Required to Catch the Ball?

1. What is the concept of Minimum Average Speed?

The concept of Minimum Average Speed is a measure of the average speed at which an object moves over a specific distance. It is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken to travel that distance.

2. How is Minimum Average Speed different from Instantaneous Speed?

While Minimum Average Speed represents the overall speed of an object over a given distance, Instantaneous Speed is the speed of an object at a specific moment in time. Minimum Average Speed takes into account the changes in speed over the entire distance, while Instantaneous Speed only considers the speed at a single point.

3. How is Minimum Average Speed useful in scientific experiments?

In scientific experiments, Minimum Average Speed is useful for determining the average rate at which an object is moving. This information can be used to analyze the performance of an experiment and make comparisons between different trials or experiments.

4. Can Minimum Average Speed be negative?

Yes, Minimum Average Speed can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen reference point. For example, if the reference point is to the right and the object is moving to the left, the Minimum Average Speed will be negative.

5. How can Minimum Average Speed be calculated for non-uniform motion?

For non-uniform motion, where the speed of the object is constantly changing, the Minimum Average Speed can be calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken, just like in uniform motion. However, the time intervals used to calculate the speed should be smaller to get a more accurate average speed.