What is the minimum opening angle between two photons in a neutral pion decay?

In summary, the problem discussed is about a neutral pion decaying into two photons. The solution involves finding the pion's momentum and using the energy momentum relationships and conservation laws to determine the minimum or maximum opening angle between the two photons in the LAB frame. By assuming equal angles for the two photons from the line of motion of the pion, the solution can be easily obtained.
schattenjaeger
I forget the problem exactly but the general solution is good. I believe it was a neutral pion decaying into two photons

I don't know the numbers but I'm given momentum and it's gigantic, some GeV, opposed to the wussy pion mass so it's way relativistic

I could do the first part easy, it was like find out far the pion travels given its lifetime before decay(and then it gave me the lifetime)

However then it wanted the minimum opening angle between the two photons in the LAB frame. >_> I dunno, I figured I could assume both photons get half the pion's momentum, but then it seems like they should both be going in the same direction to conserve energy and momentum(although obviously I'm wrong)I know in the pion's rest frame to conserve momentum they both go out at 180 degrees apart(if they have half the momentum each I guess)but I don't know from there

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you do it assuming the angles are equal for the two photons from the line of motion of the pion? The energy momentum relationships E² = p²c² + (mc²)² and the conservation laws should get you the equal angle solution fairly easily. By symmetry, that has to be the minimum or maximum opening angle. It should not be too hard to show which it is.

Related to What is the minimum opening angle between two photons in a neutral pion decay?

1. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the smallest building blocks of matter and the forces that govern their interactions. These particles include atoms, subatomic particles such as protons and neutrons, and even smaller particles like quarks and leptons.

2. What is the "particle physics problem"?

The "particle physics problem" refers to the unanswered questions and inconsistencies within the current understanding of particle physics. These include the unification of the four fundamental forces, the nature of dark matter and dark energy, and the origin of mass.

3. How are particles studied in particle physics?

Particles are studied using powerful particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. These accelerators collide particles at high energies, allowing scientists to observe the resulting subatomic particles and their interactions.

4. What is the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model is a theoretical framework that describes the fundamental particles and forces in the universe. It is currently the most successful model in explaining the behavior of particles, but it does not account for all observed phenomena and is considered incomplete.

5. What are some current research topics in particle physics?

Some current research topics in particle physics include the search for new particles, such as the Higgs boson, the study of neutrinos and their properties, and the search for evidence of supersymmetry. Other areas of interest include the study of antimatter, the nature of dark matter, and the exploration of the early universe through high-energy collisions.