What is the mistake in the derivation of the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation?

In summary: The link's equation gives the momentum of the system at time t as (M-dm)(v+dv-u) without taking into account the change in velocity. You are correct in saying that the equation in the link is flawed because it does not take into account the change in velocity.
gjfjfj
Hello,
I am trying to understand the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation.
I am looking at this right now:
http://www.math24.net/rocket-motion.html

they said that the momentum of the rocket itself is:
p1 = (m-dm)(v+dv)

and the momentum of the gas was:
p2 = dm(v-u)

Here is the problem- u is relative to the rocket.
In my opinion p2 should be:
dm( (v + dv) -u )
because the speed of the rocket has changed too

Where is my mistake?

Thank you,
Marina

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to PF, Marina.

The gas is ejected at a time where the speed of the rocket is v, that is, before the rocket gets the small dv increase in speed.

Thank you!
I have been trying to figure out this for hours, and it turned out to be so simple :)

Hi Marina

gjfjfj said:
Hello,
In my opinion p2 should be:
dm( (v + dv) -u )
because the speed of the rocket has changed too

Where is my mistake?

Thank you,
Marina

There is no mistake in your reasoning .You are correct in your expression of the momentum of the ejected mass . The expression in the given link is flawed.

Fortunately the two expressions ,one given in the link ,the other by you ,give the same final result .

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Thank you for your response
I can't get the final result with my equasion. Can you please show me how it is done.
I am trying for about 24 hours now :/

I like to do it as a differential equation.

d(total momentum)/dt = 0
m = rocket mass, function of time
v = rocket velocity, function of time
u = exhast-gas velocity backward from the rocket

d(rocket momentum)/dt + d(exhaust momentum)/dt = 0
d(m*v)/dt - (v-u)*(dm/dt) = 0
The first term is easy
The second term is (exhaust velocity) * d(exhaust mass)/dt
Note: d(exhaust mass)/dt = - d(rocket mass)/dt
(exhaust velocity) is in the direction of the rocket in the outside observer's reference frame
Relative to the rocket, it is - u
Relative to the observer, you need to add v, giving v - u

One can do some easy rearrangement:
d(m*v)/dt - (v-u)*(dm/dt) = (dm/dt)*v + m*(dv/dt) + (u-v)*(dm/dt) = m*(dv/dt) + u*(dm/dt)

Thus, we get
dv/dt = - (u/m)*(dm/dt)

One can make u a function of time, or add other forces, like gravity or drag.

But one can easily solve this equation for u a constant:
v = u*log(m0/m)

where m0 is the initial mass.

Marina ...have you got the desired result ?

The extra term will produce a term quadratic in the differentials. Quadratic terms can be safely neglected because they are an "infinitesimal of higher order"

Thank you! Now it works for ma all the time.
You guys are the best!

I'm glad Marina got her problem solved.

Tanya Sharma said:
The expression in the given link is flawed.

Not sure why you would say that, Tanya?

The derivation looks quite standard to me. The infinitesimal parcel of propellant dm is consider to leave the rocket with a relative speed of -u at time t when the rocket exactly has speed v, not at time t+dt when the rocket has speed v+dv. This is quite similar to how the mass of the propellant dm is considered to leave the mass of the rocket at time t so that dm is not "present" at time t+dt, that is, the mass of the rocket at time t+dt is m-dm and not m.

It's not like that makes any difference anyways since all extra terms that appear are infinitesimal of higher order and can be safely neglected.

Hi Filip

Filip Larsen said:
Not sure why you would say that, Tanya?

The derivation looks quite standard to me. The infinitesimal parcel of propellant dm is consider to leave the rocket with a relative speed of -u at time t when the rocket exactly has speed v, not at time t+dt when the rocket has speed v+dv. This is quite similar to how the mass of the propellant dm is considered to leave the mass of the rocket at time t so that dm is not "present" at time t+dt, that is, the mass of the rocket at time t+dt is m-dm and not m.

The derivation is quite standard ,but not quite right :rolleyes:

The momentum of the system(rocket+unspent fuel ) at time t is Mv .At time t+dt , dm mass with relative velocity 'u' has been ejected.The velocity of the rocket changes to v+dv.The velocity of the ejected mass is (v+dv-u).

The momentum of mass ejected comes in picture at time t+dt not at time t .And the velocity of the rocket at time t+dt is v+dv, not v . Hence the momentum of the ejected mass should be (dm)(v+dv-u).

If what you say is right ,then how the initial momentum of the system at time t is taken Mv and not (M-dm)v + dm(v-u) ?

Interestingly,the end result is same in both the cases,one outlined in the link ,the other I have explained :)

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:
The derivation is quite standard, but not quite right.

Before you claim all textbooks on the subject are incorrect on this you may want to consider that time does not play the role you think it does when deriving the rocket equation.

Tanya Sharma said:
At time t+dt , dm mass with relative velocity 'u' has been ejected.

You are supposed to model what happens at time t by adding up the total momentum "before" and "after" time t as if both "before" and "after" happens exactly at time t. That is, the time between "before" and "after" situation is zero, not dt. And just in case you now wonder where time then enters the picture it does so implicitly from the inclusion of a kinematic quantity (speed v) in the rocket equation and not from an explicit inclusion of a dt (which is then later ignored as a second order effect anyway).

It would also be weird to model the transfer of propellant mass at time t but the corresponding transfer of propellant impulse at time t+dt. Since impulse relates to force that means that if the rocket is turned on exactly at time t then propellant will be exhausted but both the force and the acceleration will be zero at that point in time?

1. What is the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation?

The Tsiolkovsky rocket equation, also known as the ideal rocket equation, is a mathematical formula that describes the motion of a rocket in terms of its mass, velocity, and the amount of propellant it carries. It was developed by Russian scientist Konstantin Tsiolkovsky in the late 19th century.

2. How does the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation work?

The equation states that the change in velocity of a rocket (also known as delta-v) is equal to the exhaust velocity of the rocket's propellant times the natural logarithm of the ratio of the initial mass of the rocket to its final mass. This means that as the rocket burns fuel and decreases in mass, it can achieve higher velocities.

3. What is the significance of the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation?

The Tsiolkovsky rocket equation is an important tool in rocketry as it allows scientists and engineers to calculate the necessary amount of propellant needed to achieve a desired velocity, or to determine the maximum velocity a rocket can achieve with a given amount of propellant. It also highlights the importance of fuel efficiency in rocket design.

4. Are there any limitations to the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation?

While the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It assumes a constant exhaust velocity and does not take into account factors such as air resistance, gravity, and the changing mass of the rocket as it burns fuel. These factors can have a significant impact on the actual performance of a rocket.

5. How is the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation used in real-world applications?

The Tsiolkovsky rocket equation is used extensively in the design and planning of space missions, as well as in the development of rocket engines and propellant systems. It is also used to calculate the performance of existing rockets and to make predictions for future rocket designs. It is an essential tool in the field of rocket science and has played a crucial role in the advancement of space exploration.