What is the Moment of Inertia for a Rod?

In summary, The conversation is about solving a problem involving finding the moment of inertia of a system with multiple rods. There is discussion about treating the farthest rod as a point mass and confusion over the mass per rod. The correct approach is to treat the farthest rod as a point mass situated at its center, which leads to a total moment of inertia of 3mk2.
coldblood
Hi friends,
Please help me in solving this problem, I'll appreciate the help.

The problem is as:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/q71/s720x720/1467427_1461727597387679_1141225220_n.jpg

Attempt -

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/q71/s720x720/1472752_1461727710721001_1917071548_n.jpg

Thank you all in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You treated the rod furthest from the axis as a point mass at its centre.
Also, I think you have confused the mass per rod with the total mass.

haruspex said:
You treated the rod furthest from the axis as a point mass at its centre.
Also, I think you have confused the mass per rod with the total mass.

So what will with the farthest rod Should I take its moment of inertia as ml2/12(about center) + m(l√3/2)2

If I do so,

The total M.I. is found to be (3/2) ml2

Which gives radius of giration as l√(3/2)

But the answer is l/√2

coldblood said:
So what will with the farthest rod Should I take its moment of inertia as ml2/12(about center) + m(l√3/2)2
Yes.
If I do so,

The total M.I. is found to be (3/2) ml2

Which gives radius of giration as l√(3/2)

But the answer is l/√2
That's the other error I mentioned. If each rod has mass m then the entire structure has mass 3m. If its radius of gyration is k then its moment of inertia will be 3mk2.

Likes 1 person
Well, I did a mistake in reading the question also. I thought that I have to calculate the moment of inertia of the system about the axis parallel to the plane of the structure.

If I have to find the M.I. of the system about an axis parallel, So what would the M.I of the farthest rod?
In that case should I treat it as a point mass situated at the center of the rod?

coldblood said:
Well, I did a mistake in reading the question also. I thought that I have to calculate the moment of inertia of the system about the axis parallel to the plane of the structure.

If I have to find the M.I. of the system about an axis parallel, So what would the M.I of the farthest rod?
In that case should I treat it as a point mass situated at the center of the rod?

Yes.

Likes 1 person

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or a fixed point. It occurs when an object rotates or spins in a circular or curved path.

2. What is the difference between translational and rotational motion?

Translational motion is the movement of an object from one location to another in a straight line, while rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or fixed point.

3. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement of an object. It is measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

4. How is rotational motion related to torque?

Rotational motion is directly related to torque, which is the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis or fixed point. The greater the torque applied, the greater the rotational motion.

5. How is rotational motion used in real life?

Rotational motion is used in many real-life applications, such as the rotating blades of a fan, the wheels of a car, and the spinning motion of a top. It is also important in understanding the movement of planets and other celestial bodies in space.