What is the moment of inertia I for rotation around r_cm?

In summary, the rod is massless and the three iron balls have different masses. The center of mass for the system is at .822L.
Charlene

Homework Statement

A massless rod of length L connects three iron masses. If the first mass (at x=0) has a mass of 1.90 kg and the second mass (at x=L) has a mass of 8.77 kg and the third mass (located at the center of mass of the system) has a mass of 148 kg, what is the moment of inertia I for the free rotation about the center of mass?

Homework Equations

I= Sum(mi(ri^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I= Sum(mi(ri^2)) = 1.9(0^2) + 8.77(L^2) + 148(r_cm^2)

Now I'm assuming I'm going to be wanting to find what r_cm is (it'll probably be a function of L)
To find the center of mass for i have to take an integral? or is there another way to solve this??
This isn't a uniform rod because of the different weights of the masses correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Charlene said:

Homework Statement

A massless rod of length L connects three iron masses. If the first mass (at x=0) has a mass of 1.90 kg and the second mass (at x=L) has a mass of 8.77 kg and the third mass (located at the center of mass of the system) has a mass of 148 kg, what is the moment of inertia I for the free rotation about the center of mass?

Homework Equations

I= Sum(mi(ri^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I= Sum(mi(ri^2)) = 1.9(0^2) + 8.77(L^2) + 148(r_cm^2)

Now I'm assuming I'm going to be wanting to find what r_cm is (it'll probably be a function of L)
To find the center of mass for i have to take an integral? or is there another way to solve this??
This isn't a uniform rod because of the different weights of the masses correct?
The rod is massless according to the problem statement, so you don't have to worry about it.

If you have three iron balls of different masses and different locations, how would you normally find the location of their center of mass? Don't you know what a weighted average is?

Okay so using equation
MR=m1r1+m2r2
MR=0 + 8.77kg*L
And then divide by the total mass
So 1.90kg+8.77kg=10.67 kg

So the center of mass is at .822L?

Charlene said:
Okay so using equation
MR=m1r1+m2r2
MR=0 + 8.77kg*L
And then divide by the total mass
So 1.90kg+8.77kg=10.67 kg

So the center of mass is at .822L?
You've got three masses to consider, not two.

SteamKing said:
You've got three masses to consider, not two.
I know I've got three masses but i thought since the third mass was at the center of mass that i wouldn't have to consider it when finding the center, why would this be a wrong assumption?

Charlene said:
I know I've got three masses but i thought since the third mass was at the center of mass that i wouldn't have to consider it when finding the center, why would this be a wrong assumption?
I've checked your calculations. You got the correct distance r. Now, proceed and calculate the inertia of the system.

SteamKing said:
I've checked your calculations. You got the correct distance r. Now, proceed and calculate the inertia of the system.
1.9(0^2) + 8.77(L^2) + 148(r_cm^2)
r_cm=.822L
therefore, 8.77L^2+121.656L^2
I=130.426L^2

Charlene said:
1.9(0^2) + 8.77(L^2) + 148(r_cm^2)
r_cm=.822L
therefore, 8.77L^2+121.656L^2
I=130.426L^2
The distances x = 0 and x = L are not measured relative to the center of mass of the rod and the iron balls. The problem asks you specifically to calculate MOI about the center of mass.

Also, since you know the mass of each ball and the material it is composed of, you may not be able to treat each ball as a point mass for calculating inertia, especially the 148-kg ball.

What is the moment of inertia I for rotation around r_cm?

The moment of inertia I for rotation around r_cm is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It depends on the mass distribution of the object and the distance from the axis of rotation to the object's center of mass.

How is the moment of inertia I calculated?

The moment of inertia I is calculated by summing the products of the mass of each particle in the object and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. The integral form of this calculation is I = ∫r²dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the mass element dm.

What are the units of moment of inertia I?

The SI unit for moment of inertia I is kg*m². It can also be expressed in other units such as g*cm² or lb*ft². The units can be derived by substituting the appropriate units for mass (kg, g, lb) and distance (m, cm, ft) into the formula for moment of inertia.

How does the moment of inertia I affect rotational motion?

The moment of inertia I affects rotational motion by determining the angular acceleration of an object. A larger moment of inertia means a larger resistance to rotational motion, resulting in a smaller angular acceleration. This is analogous to how a heavier object has a slower linear acceleration compared to a lighter object when subjected to the same force.

Can the moment of inertia I be negative?

No, the moment of inertia I cannot be negative. It is always a positive value since it is calculated by squaring the distance from the axis of rotation. A negative moment of inertia would indicate that the mass is rotating in the opposite direction, which is not physically possible.