What is the name of this principle?

• Thread starter natski
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Principle
In summary, the principle being discussed is the rank-nullity theorem, which states that the number of variables minus the number of independent linear constraints equals the number of linearly independent solutions. However, this principle only applies to linear systems of equations, not systems of equations in general.
natski
Hi all,

When solving a set of equations with n unknown parameters, you need at least n equations to do this, but perhaps more. What is the name of this principle?

Cheers,
Natski

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The "principle" you state is not true. For example, the equation x2+ y2+ z2= 0, although only one equation in 3 unknown parameters has the unique solution x= y= z= 0 in the real numbers. If that is not what you meant, please explain more.

Ok, but you can't get all of the solutions with just that one equation. Perhaps a better problem would be to consider n non-linear equations.

They are sometimes known as simultaneous equations.

Yup, I know that. I want to know the name of principle which dictates how many equations you need in order to find the solutions to n parameters.

HallsofIvy said:
The "principle" you state is not true. For example, the equation x2+ y2+ z2= 0, although only one equation in 3 unknown parameters has the unique solution x= y= z= 0 in the real numbers. If that is not what you meant, please explain more.

Who said the solutions must be real?
1,1 and i*sqr(2) is also a solutions. And many other sets. :wink:

Last edited:
natski said:
Ok, but you can't get all of the solutions with just that one equation. Perhaps a better problem would be to consider n non-linear equations.

The "principle" refers usually to linear equations. And n equations must be linear independent, if you want to get n unknowns.
I don't think I ever seen this called a principle and even less given some specific name.

According to http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/RankNullityTheorem.html, the rank-nullity theorem says that "the number of variables minus the number of independent linear constraints equals the number of linearly independent solutions."

I don't think this is exactly what you're asking for, but it's as close as I could get.

nasu said:

Well hell, who says the solutions must be complex? (1,1,1) is a solution in Z3

nasu said:

I did. And since the original question just referred to 'a system of equations' without any restrictions, I am free to state a problem dealing with any system of equations in whatever number system I choose as a counter-example.

Last edited by a moderator:
natski said:
Are you suggesting that there are solutions to x2+ y2+ z2= 0 other than x= y= z= 0? If so, tell me what they are! If not, I just gave you an example of 1 non-linear equation which, by itself, determines 3 solutions.

In fact, in the real number system, given any positive integer n, the system
[tex]x_1^2+ x_2^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ x_n^2= 0[/tex]
completely determines all n solutions. What you are attempting to assert is true of linear systems of equations, not systems of equations in general.

HallsofIvy said:
What you are attempting to assert is true of linear systems of equations, not systems of equations in general.

Halls, what (if anything!) can be said about other systems of equations (perhaps polynomials of degree < d)?

HallsofIvy said:
Are you suggesting that there are solutions to x2+ y2+ z2= 1 other than x= y= z= 0? If so, tell me what they are!

I'm tempted to type an uncountable list of solutions here, but I probably would be at it all night

Office_Shredder said:
I'm tempted to type an uncountable list of solutions here, but I probably would be at it all night
And I am tempted to call myself an uncountable list of names! Of course, I meant x2+ y2+ z2= 0, as I had initially.

The point is still that the "principle" enuciated in the original post simply does not exist!

Office_Shredder said:

If you are thinking of complex x,y,z, then the example can be easily extended to

[tex]x \bar{x} + y \bar{y} + z \bar{z} = 0[/tex]

so that there is only 1 solution.

No, he was thinking of my unfortunate typo where I wrote "= 1" rather than "= 0" but thank you for extending my point to the complex numbers.

There is no "name" for the principle initially enunciated because we are not in the practice of giving names to incorrect statements!

I think the OP is referring to systems of linear equations. In that case, it's not a principle but simply a trivial fact easily seen when studying systems of a linear equations in their matrix representations: if the number of variables exceeds the number of equations, there must be free variables and hence an infinite number of solutions. In general, there exists no more than 1 solution when there are n linearly independent equations in F^n, where F is the field from which the entries of the matrix (coefficients of the equations) are coming.

if the number of variables exceeds the number of equations, there must be free variables and hence an infinite number of solutions.

Totally incorrect.

For example, the equation:

x+y+z=x+y+z+1 has NO solutions, not infinitely many.

The original poster said specifically, in post 3, "Perhaps a better problem would be to consider n non-linear equations. "

arildno said:
Totally incorrect.

For example, the equation:

x+y+z=x+y+z+1 has NO solutions, not infinitely many.

Why do you have to be so obnoxious? Obviously I did not mean this applied to systems with inconsistent equations. There are more civil ways to correct someone.

HallsofIvy said:
The original poster said specifically, in post 3, "Perhaps a better problem would be to consider n non-linear equations. "

Sorry about that.

Werg22 said:
Why do you have to be so obnoxious? Obviously I did not mean this applied to systems with inconsistent equations. There are more civil ways to correct someone.
Wherein lies my "obnoxity"? What you actually wrote WAS "totally incorrect".

As for the obviosity of that crucial condition you NOW say you place upon what you wrote, you cannot expect that I, or anybody else, can look inside your head to find all your implicit assumptions, however obvious they might be to you.

1. What is the name of this principle?

The name of this principle is not specified in the question, so it's difficult to provide an accurate answer. There are many principles in science, each with their own specific name. Can you provide more context or information?

2. Is this principle related to any other scientific principles?

Without knowing the specific principle in question, it's difficult to determine if it is related to any other principles. However, many scientific principles are interconnected and often build upon one another. Can you provide more information about the principle you are referring to?

3. How was this principle discovered?

The discovery of a scientific principle can vary depending on the principle itself. Some principles are discovered through experimentation and observation, while others are the result of mathematical equations or theories. Can you specify which principle you are asking about?

4. Can you explain this principle in simple terms?

It would be helpful to know which principle you are referring to in order to provide a simple explanation. However, in general, scientific principles are fundamental laws or rules that explain how the natural world works. They are often based on observations and experiments and help us understand the world around us.

5. How does this principle impact our daily lives?

The impact of a scientific principle on our daily lives can vary greatly depending on the principle itself. Some principles may have a direct impact on our daily activities, while others may have a more indirect influence. Can you provide more information about the specific principle you are asking about?