What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
WWGD said:
Could be, but I already carry one and it's full to the hilt.
Bigger pack or sling things (like coats) through the straps.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
BillTre said:
Bigger pack or sling things (like coats) through the straps.
Could be too. I heard some companies make "modular" clothes that you can put together or remove easily, a sort of "clothes Lego".
 
WWGD said:
Could be too. I heard some companies make "modular" clothes that you can put together or remove easily, a sort of "clothes Lego".
Maybe you can eat them too. Wasnt there a slogan "Lego my Eggo". I tried it, but almost choked on the Lego ;).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borg
You should have made a waffle out of the Legos® before trying to eat them.
 
BillTre said:
You should have made a waffle out of the Legos® before trying to eat them.
What makes you think I didn't? ;).
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
The teens are over and now we're into perfect vision : 2020. Happy New Year to all. And the usual cheesy joke: "Talk to you next year" .
 
WWGD said:
The teens are over and now we're into perfect vision : 2020. Happy New Year to all. And the usual cheesy joke: "Talk to you next year" .

"next decade" - FTFY
 
Matterwave said:
"next decade" - FTFY
Good point. Edit: But we'll never had back the " See you next millenium " from 12/31/99.
 
Next decade starts in a year, not today. Same as next millenium started on 12/31/00. There was no year 0.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bystander
fresh_42 said:
Next decade starts in a year, not today. Same as next millenium started on 12/31/00. There was no year 0.

Eh, the delineation of a "decade" is somewhat arbitrary anyways. Since most people refer to the decade as 10-19 inclusive (the 2010's) then I think I'm good :D
 
Matterwave said:
Eh, the delineation of a "decade" is somewhat arbitrary anyways. Since most people refer to the decade as 10-19 inclusive (the 2010's) then I think I'm good :D
Yes, but it's wrong. Ten is ***0.

The 80s are 1980 - 1989, the decade is 1981 - 1990.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bystander
fresh_42 said:
Yes, but it's wrong. Ten is ***0.

The 80s are 1980 - 1989, the decade is 1981 - 1990.

I'll just quote wikipedia:

"Any period of ten years is a decade, and there is no 'official' legal nor administrative start or end point,[1][2] so it can be any arbitrary span of ten years. "

"The frequently used method to refer to decades is the cardinal method, which groups years based on their shared tens digit, such as the nineteen-sixties (1960s) referring to the period from 1960 to 1969.[4][5]"

"The rarer ordinal decade counts years beginning with the year AD 1, as the Gregorian calendar counts ordinally rather than cardinally, and hence there was no year zero. For example, the term 196th decade spans the years from 1951 to 1960. "

So I choose the cardinal method rather than the ordinal method. This is the way. :)
 
I choose the cardinal method this year and the ordinal next year. Two end-of-decade parties - what's not to like?
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42 and BillTre
fresh_42 said:
Next decade starts in a year, not today. Same as next millenium started on 12/31/00. There was no year 0.
I thought people were really confused back then: We're in 3BC and next year is 2BC? Who is C?
 
fresh_42 said:
Next decade starts in a year, not today. Same as next millenium started on 12/31/00. There was no year 0.
So we went from -1 to 1? As long as I have my Pannetonne (Sp?) I am ok.
 
WWGD said:
I thought people were really confused back then: We're in 3BC and next year is 2BC? Who is C?
We'll soon C?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Ibix said:
We'll soon C?
Not the one I'd like 2B. Not even in 4D *
 
Re 4D:
I felt guilty and did not take my friends money on a bet that I can watch movies in 4D --
the apartment of another friend.
 
fresh_42 said:
Yes.
Like a Complex log, a discontinuity at the origin.
 
WWGD said:
Like a Complex log, a discontinuity at the origin.
Only proof that ##0## isn't a natural number! It was the first pure mathematical discovery.
 
fresh_42 said:
Only proof that ##0## isn't a natural number! It was the first pure mathematical discovery.
"Pure"?
 
Pure in the sense that some Indians a couple of thousand years ago suddenly decided to count something that isn't there!
 
fresh_42 said:
Pure in the sense that some Indians a couple of thousand years ago suddenly decided to count something that isn't there!
But it seems you can say something similar about negative integers and ultimately the Reals.
 
WWGD said:
But it seems you can say something similar about negative integers and ultimately the Reals.
Yes, but zero was first. The integers were probably discovered by an ancient bookie.
 
fresh_42 said:
Yes, but zero was first. The integers were probably discovered by an ancient bookie.
I guess it is the type of stuff in what's his name's book, fluffernutter's Godel , Escher, Bach (Im on my phone, hard to search and come back). Ill get to it some day I hope. Edit: Make that Hofstatder ( a mouthful) instead of fluffernutter.
 
Last edited:
Kind of weird phrase: Sidney and Cindy in Disney.
 
Kind of strange that now they have the acronym STEAM : Science, Technology, Arts and Mathematics. Nothing against art, just not clear on how/if it belongs in the selection.
 
WWGD said:
Kind of strange that now they have the acronym STEAM : Science, Technology, Arts and Mathematics. Nothing against art, just not clear on how/if it belongs in the selection.
Guess it's because you missed the E(scher).