What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 759K views
I have an asian restaurant nearby. But I never figured out what kind, i.e. where from Asia. Not japanese, that's all which was obvious. Today I found out. It took a Coronavirus and a heat wave to gain sufficient evidence.

Because of the Corona virus, they had installed an extra temporary counter further away from the cooking place. This made someone necessary to transport (and translate) the order. Thus they had a young lady who normally isn't there to do the job. And I guess she is the only one who speaks the natives' language well enough. Moreover we have currently a heat wave here: ##\approx 90\,°F##, and the young lady ran around like she would probably do at home: both, in her asian as well as in her local home: shoes and XL t-shirt. This left only one plausible option.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
San Francisco vs Blade Runner (2049)

1599738561114.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, Borg, BillTre and 1 other person
Got a new task: the 'specification' is a simple page of schematic without additional data, with many serious problems.
No changes allowed, must be done within a day or two.
My first time for GIGO
Gotta' get a beer once done. And wait for the fireworks to start.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
I found this texbook the other day in a second hand shop, in a shelf next to a book about astrology.
I hadn't planned to get a book on quantum optics, but the price was only half a dollar (!), so I got it.
I guess it was written in the stars.

Quantum Optics.jpg


I also got a book on chemistry for half a dollar: :smile:

Chemistry.jpg
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, Keith_McClary and etotheipi
Does anybody know how the minimal distances of english words of a given length are distributed? Or what is the minimal word length where the minimal distance is at least two?
 
Interesting article on the FT on how while most creative people are in larger cities, they are usually born on smaller ones. The dullness of the smaller towns compel them to find and create their own entertainment to avoid ending up bored to tears. City dwellers, by comparison, have ready-made entertainment by just driving and walking around. Article by Janan Ganesh, who's written a few other interesting ones.
 
I think people on PF can be broadly classified into two categories:-
1. Who don't want their brain to stop working
2. Who want their brain to start working.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Fervent Freyja, Keith_McClary, BillTre and 1 other person
Hemant said:
I think people on PF can be broadly classified into two categories:-
1. Who don't want their brain to stop working
2. Who want their brain to start working.

I think you missed...

3. Who are using PF as a procrastination mechanism
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary, Tom.G and Frigus
Hemant said:
I think people on PF can be broadly classified into two categories:-
1. Who don't want their brain to stop working
2. Who want their brain to start working.
etotheipi said:
I think you missed...

3. Who are using PF as a procrastination mechanism
But these aren't mutually exclusive categories.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: etotheipi
DrGreg said:
But these aren't mutually exclusive categories.

Point taken, though if you're procrastinating perhaps that means you don't want your brain to do any work... or maybe you actually do, but you're actively suppressing it... that's quite philosophical, isn't it ☺
 
And those of us trying to figure out what you're %#!$ talking about in the above discussion ;).
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: etotheipi and Frigus
After reading a 500+ post thread on another site on why people who put the cereal on the bowl before the milk are idiots, with insults galore, even a few death threats, I feel greateful again for PF!
 
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary
WWGD said:
After reading a 500+ post thread on another site on why people who put the cereal on the bowl before the milk are idiots, with insults galore, even a few death threats, I feel greateful again for PF!
I knew I'm an idiot. However, you shouldn't smoke the hard stuff if you are prone to bad trips (pun intended).
 
WWGD said:
After reading a 500+ post thread on another site on why people who put the cereal on the bowl before the milk are idiots, with insults galore, even a few death threats, I feel greateful again for PF!
What were you reading? The Facebook local page for Lilliput?
 
Ibix said:
What were you reading? The Facebook local page for Lilliput?
I lost track of it. Let me look it up.
 
Ibix said:
What were you reading? The Facebook local page for Lilliput?
All I know is the name Laputa ( La puta) did not do well in Spanish-speaking countries.
 
WWGD said:
Pretty cool map:
View attachment 271758
This is only the stereographic projection. The map should be clued to a sphere, as you can see on combinatorics and probability. And algebraic geometers did their best to combine abstract algebra with calculus, and algebraic topologist to do the same with topology. Mathematics is path connected but not simple connected. Mathematicians keep an eye on it, so that it won't become 0-homotope.
 
A way of throwing off a conversation: " What do you think about eating disorders?"
A: " I have trouble seeing how you can eat something abstract like a disorder"But I am not hungry anyway.
 
WWGD said:
" What do you think about eating disorders?"
A: "I have no trouble consuming disorders. Do you?"
 
WWGD said:
" What do you think about eating disorders?"
I suppose that's the opposite of eating orders after you've read them?