What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Keith_McClary
- 752
- 1,507
The AI probably heard of this:WWGD said:" Stair Master"
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I almost sent the email. Phew!Keith_McClary said:The AI probably heard of this:
View attachment 284937
kyphysics
- 687
- 446
Has anyone seen Chick-Fil-A shrinkflation?
Not sure if it's just my imagination or not, but their breakfast sandwiches (e.g., chicken biscuit...egg, sausage and cheese biscuits/muffins...) seem smaller.
I know restaurant inflation has been taking place:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...oost-menu-prices-at-fast-clip-to-recoup-costs
Not sure if it's just my imagination or not, but their breakfast sandwiches (e.g., chicken biscuit...egg, sausage and cheese biscuits/muffins...) seem smaller.
I know restaurant inflation has been taking place:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...oost-menu-prices-at-fast-clip-to-recoup-costs
But, CFA's version seems (not sure) like shrinkflation. It's been a year since I've had them, so I don't recall 100% what they're like then. Pricing feels about the same.U.S. restaurants, faced with higher food and labor costs, are raising menu prices at a much faster pace than historical rates, insistent on preserving profits after an arduous year.
From local restaurants to national chains like Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc., owners have boosted prices by as much as 5% in the past few weeks alone. Even at fast-food companies that were locked in price wars just a couple of years ago to win over cost-conscious consumers, increases aren’t taboo anymore.
Frabjous
Gold Member
- 1,978
- 2,445
I had a chicken biscuit this week. Didn’t notice anything. In my experience, there is a fair amount of variance in both the chicken and the biscuit size.kyphysics said:Has anyone seen Chick-Fil-A shrinkflation?
Not sure if it's just my imagination or not, but their breakfast sandwiches (e.g., chicken biscuit...egg, sausage and cheese biscuits/muffins...) seem smaller.
I know restaurant inflation has been taking place:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...oost-menu-prices-at-fast-clip-to-recoup-costsBut, CFA's version seems (not sure) like shrinkflation. It's been a year since I've had them, so I don't recall 100% what they're like then. Pricing feels about the same.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Strange; I thought the whole point of chains was to provide standardization, which usually implies little variability.caz said:I had a chicken biscuit this week. Didn’t notice anything. In my experience, there is a fair amount of variance in both the chicken and the biscuit size.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I often see some trying to get away with such tricks: 50% of lunch where they serve you close to half the usual portion and they charge you for everything short of a plate: Ah, you want a chair/fork/napkin? That will be extra!kyphysics said:Has anyone seen Chick-Fil-A shrinkflation?
Not sure if it's just my imagination or not, but their breakfast sandwiches (e.g., chicken biscuit...egg, sausage and cheese biscuits/muffins...) seem smaller.
I know restaurant inflation has been taking place:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...oost-menu-prices-at-fast-clip-to-recoup-costsBut, CFA's version seems (not sure) like shrinkflation. It's been a year since I've had them, so I don't recall 100% what they're like then. Pricing feels about the same.
kyphysics
- 687
- 446
I thought the chicken pieces (I bought several of the chicken biscuit sandwiches) seemed a lot thinner compared to the past, but with it being over a year, I just wasn't sure.caz said:I had a chicken biscuit this week. Didn’t notice anything. In my experience, there is a fair amount of variance in both the chicken and the biscuit size.
If they're the same, then I'd say their chicken just IS sort of on the thin side then (for my tastes).
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I've never worked in the food industry but I can see how tempting it would be to cut down on quality or amounts of ingredients when times are bad, though it usually has disastrous consequences.kyphysics said:I thought the chicken pieces (I bought several of the chicken biscuit sandwiches) seemed a lot thinner compared to the past, but with it being over a year, I just wasn't sure.
If they're the same, then I'd say their chicken just IS sort of on the thin side then (for my tastes).The taste was fantastic, though. At least I didn't notice lower quality ingredients.
Frabjous
Gold Member
- 1,978
- 2,445
I think the supply chains for a fast food chain are so long that it would be a nontrivial exercise. I remember an article about why it took so long for Popeye’s to mass produce its chicken sandwich.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Believe it or not. The most interesting I found on tv is the live coverage of the French rugby final. In French, of course.
- 20,819
- 28,467
They do and it is pretty famous in France. Even Macron is present. And they are not that bad, although this match is a bit boring up to now. 22 minutes and no try.WWGD said:Didn't even know they played rugby. I thought it was an Anglo country sport.
- 20,819
- 28,467
They do, and they play football, too. But I'm not sure whether I would call either one rugby or football.WWGD said:H'about you Deutsche? Play Rugby too?
Toulouse - La Rochelle 12-0 halftime, still no try
I don't have to mention that I wanted La Rochelle to win.
- 20,819
- 28,467
It's raining in Paris.
- 13,926
- 16,804
There's an article in the Annals of Improbable Research about a study to determine which butterfly flapping its wings causes it to rain in Paris. IIRC, they study butterflies in the botanic gardens in Paris for reasons of convenience, and discard data from days when it wasn't raining because clearly no butterfly is making it rain those days. A highly trustworthy study.fresh_42 said:It's raining in Paris.
- 20,819
- 28,467
In a match without tries, you cannot afford to miss the kicks. La Rochelle (3-12) missed already two.
- 13,926
- 16,804
I'm refusing to make the obvious joke.
- 20,819
- 28,467
18-8 final, one try from a scrum, too late too few from La Rochelle.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
And Tolouse To lose?fresh_42 said:They do, and they play football, too. But I'm not sure whether I would call either one rugby or football.
Toulouse - La Rochelle 12-0 halftime, still no try
I don't have to mention that I wanted La Rochelle to win.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Funnily all interviews after the match were in English.WWGD said:Hope these are not the "Pumped up Kicks"
- 13,926
- 16,804
I was thinking of something like "try harder", so it seems there were two obvious jokes.WWGD said:Is that the one I did in #7342?
- 20,819
- 28,467
I learned that not only Americans call their egg a ball, French call their egg ball (ballon), too.WWGD said:Maybe some day we can see a Rugby match played with a soccer ball and a soccer match played with a rugby " ball" if that is what is called.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,805
Our dog has learned some key words or phrases, like 'outside' or 'do you need to go outside?', and 'eggs' or when my wife or I ask the other, 'would you like eggs?'. So we started to spell some words, but she seems to be learning to spell as well. She learned very quickly when we asked 'are you hungry?'.
- 1,098
- 1,385
At home I make scrambled eggs for my dog for breakfast as well 
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2