What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
I'm trying to do a blood test at home but every time my finger stops bleeding after like 10 seconds and it almost solidifies/clots in the tube? Wtf am I supposed to do :oldconfused:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ergospherical said:
I'm trying to do a blood test at home but every time my finger stops bleeding after like 10 seconds and it almost solidifies/clots in the tube? Wtf am I supposed to do :oldconfused:
Hydrate.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
What is the nature of your test?
Did you clean your finger first?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
Yeah it said to wipe it with antiseptic, leave it to dry then use the lancet to make a pin prick and "milk" 20 or so drops into the tube. I did everything they said, like take a shower beforehand & hold a cup of tea but it didn't work 😥
caz said:
Hydrate.
That's a shout...
 
ergospherical said:
I'm trying to do a blood test at home but every time my finger stops bleeding after like 10 seconds and it almost solidifies/clots in the tube? Wtf am I supposed to do :oldconfused:

1630283511539.png
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
BillTre said:
If things aren't clean, particular chemicals can cause clotting.
Didn't know that... I've used 3 different fingers now and got it to like 500ul but it's so clotted that I doubt they're going to be able to use it. Oh well I'll just send it off and hope for the best 🤷‍♂️

Maybe next time I'll just ask somebody to punch me in the face and wait for the nosebleed ?:)
 
Depending on the test, the clot can be spun down (in a centrifuge), yielding a supernant (the serum, a fluid) which might be usable for the test.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
ergospherical said:
Didn't know that... I've used 3 different fingers now and got it to like 500ul but it's so clotted that I doubt they're going to be able to use it. Oh well I'll just send it off and hope for the best 🤷‍♂️

Maybe next time I'll just ask somebody to punch me in the face and wait for the nosebleed ?:)
Take an ASA.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
ergospherical said:
Yeah it said to wipe it with antiseptic, leave it to dry then use the lancet to make a pin prick and "milk" 20 or so drops into the tube. I did everything they said, like take a shower beforehand & hold a cup of tea but it didn't work 😥

That's a shout...
I don't know who "they" or "it" is, but I've never gotten more than a drop or two of blood from a lancet finger stick on my Pts. If you want 20 drops, you need to do a small gauge IV stick, IMO. I can fly over and take care of that if you want, but you'll have to pay for my flight and beers. Probably cheaper for you to go to your local health lab...
 
  • Haha
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary and ergospherical
fresh_42 said:
Take an ASA.
That increases the yield to 2-3 drops. Don't ask me how I know this please...
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
berkeman said:
That increases the yield to 2-3 drops. Don't ask me how I know this please...
Ours have ##500\,mg## as standard.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
caz said:
Hydrate.
Save it for bangers/sausage , Dracula style ;)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
well I've only got about £5.16 left in my bank account right now... but give it a few months then if you're ever in London I'd more than happily go for a few doom bars and some vodka shots with you 🤓
WWGD said:
Save it for bangers/sausage , Dracula style ;)
oi oi
should've seen my face when 6yo me found out what black pudding was 🥺
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
"You may lead any horse/ruminant to water/beverages, but you'll never be able to feed it to the 'trolls'."
 
Bystander said:
"You may lead any horse/ruminant to water/beverages, but you'll never be able to feed it to the 'trolls'."

You can lead a horse to Ivermectin but you can't make him... oh wait, no you can't. Sold out.
 
So much for my plans for visual voice mail. After like 5 tries ( all fails), will leave it at that for now.
 
"M-U-S-T N--O--T F---E---E---D trolls." Today has been a real struggle...
 
Bystander said:
"M-U-S-T N--O--T F---E---E---D trolls." Today has been a real struggle...
...forgive me, PF, for I have sinned. My mind could not overcome my vanity.
 
Bystander said:
...forgive me, PF, for I have sinned. My mind could not overcome my vanity.
I have no idea what you are talking about, but I will respect your recommendation.
 
fresh_42 said:
I have no idea what you are talking about, but I will respect your recommendation.
It was not a "Report"able post, but I was unable to "stifle" myself (Archie Bunker, All in the Family, for those not native to "Yankee" culture) and DID "feed the troll."
 
Brother, can you spare a paradigm?
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: nuuskur, Ivan Seeking and Bystander
Ibix said:
A paradigms is four nickels, right?
Our paradigm is mainstream. So what is the fee on the nearest ferry at your location's main stream? This is the value of your paradigm.
 
Ibix said:
A paradigms is four nickels, right?
Which is the price of a paradox; a nickel each.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
Ibix said:
Sounds Scouse...
Ox meat may be too tough for Scouse. Maybe that's why it's so cheap?
 
Seems show ' Raymond' is off the air. Apparently not everybody loves Everybody Loves Raymond.
 
New cringe: " Project to a higher dimension" (SVMs in ML)
 
WWGD said:
New cringe: " Project to a higher dimension" (SVMs in ML)
You mean, as in ##y## is a higher dimension than ##x## or ##z##?