What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #10,711
Astronuc said:
It is used to perform data analysis, e.g., processing multivariable datasets such us finding the optimal microstructure of a material based on composition and processing, or predicting the properties of microstructure given the composition and processing. That requires some 'knowledge' of how the variation of properties depends on the variation of each element.

Pattern recognition is another application.

AI is just a tool. One can use a tool productively, or adversely/destructively.
Yes, but why are people personally driven to do this. Why does a 15 year old want to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #10,712
Ivan Seeking said:
Yes, but why are people personally driven to do this. Why does a 15 year old want to do this?
Well, a 15 year old doesn't create AI systems, but perhaps could with the right programming skills.

A 15 year old is not going to do materials development or alloy/compound optimization, unless the individual is highly gifted, which of course is possible, but rare.

Instead, based on a lot of hype through the media, a 15 year old might use AI apps like ChatGPT to create an essay or narrative story on whatever topic, or perhaps create a song or picture based on modifications of existing art. This would be much like someone buying a canvas, a set of paints and paint brushes and trying to replicate a piece of art, or perhaps create a new piece of art based on one's own 'rules'.

• #10,713
Astronuc said:
Well, a 15 year old doesn't create AI systems, but perhaps could with the right programming skills.

A 15 year old is not going to do materials development or alloy/compound optimization, unless the individual is highly gifted, which of course is possible, but rare.

Instead, based on a lot of hype through the media, a 15 year old might use AI apps like ChatGPT to create an essay or narrative story on whatever topic, or perhaps create a song or picture based on modifications of existing art. This would be much like someone buying a canvas, a set of paints and paint brushes and trying to replicate a piece of art, or perhaps create a new piece of art based on one's own 'rules'.

You are completely missing the point. :smile:

• #10,714
Ivan Seeking said:
You are completely missing the point. :smile:
Please elaborate.

• #10,715
The desire to create artificial minds seems to be innate. People, me included, are driven to do this implicitly. We were doing this long before AI existed; There was no particular end goal other than intelligence itself.

There was a top tier computer science professor at MIT who went on a big rant and quit. He said if we want to create minds we should make babies. He spoke to this innate desire and even equated it to making babies. He was touching on the same idea.

• #10,716
Ivan Seeking said:
The desire to create artificial minds seems to be innate. People, me included, are driven to do this implicitly. We were doing this long before AI existed; There was no particular end goal other than intelligence itself.

There was one a top tier computer science professor at MIT who went on a big rant and quit. He said if we cant to create minds we should make babies. He spoke to this innate desire and even equated it to making babies.
But the human mind can't process billions or trillions of data points, or make sense of patterns in data, the way a multiprocessor computer running AI can. As one indicated, we've been creating computer programs to do a variety of computational work in minutes, hours or days that would take many humans many months to do by hand, with a calculator. Current AI (or neural networks) are simply an enhanced tool to do data comparisons and data processing, with something of value in a reasonable time as a result. The alternative would be to spend greater resources and wait for a longer time to achieve some goal.

Of course, AI could be used for nefarious purposes.

• #10,717
Astronuc said:
But the human mind can't process billions or trillions of data points, or make sense of patterns in data, the way a multiprocessor computer running AI can. As one indicated, we've been creating computer programs to do a variety of computational work in minutes, hours or days that would take many humans many months to do by hand, with a calculator. Current AI (or neural networks) are simply an enhanced tool to do data comparisons and data processing, with something of value in a reasonable time as a result. The alternative would be to spend greater resources and wait for a longer time to achieve some goal.

Of course, AI could be used for nefarious purposes.
Yes, I know.

The desire to create artificial minds was not driven primarily by practical uses. Intelligence itself was the goal. It seems to be a natural desire like reproduction.

I understand the practical drivers.

• #10,718
Ivan Seeking said:
I have often wondered why we are driven to create artificial intelligences.
Because we want to understand and control our surroundings. It is a self-soothing method to calm us down and avoid panicking. Panicking is the unwanted side effect of having a vivid imagination (i.e. being intelligent), when we think about catastrophic scenarios.

Likes Tom.G
  • #10,720
Met prof from previous class, where I struggled. I always brought up to him Fleetwood Mac's ' Hold me': I wanna, I wanna, B, I wanna, I wanna, B. Although an A would have been better. I did get a B.

• #10,721
jack action said:
Because we want to understand and control our surroundings. It is a self-soothing method to calm us down and avoid panicking. Panicking is the unwanted side effect of having a vivid imagination (i.e. being intelligent), when we think about catastrophic scenarios.
Controlling our surroundings is secondary. Many people have been driven by the concept in and of itself. Sure, investors and company owners want results. But many people doing the work were driven more by the concept. They aren't driven primarily by the economics or utility. It is more a passion.

For a lot of people the same is true of physics. They are driven by passion and not just the practical outcome of solving a problem. Did Einstein work on his Grand Unified theory right up to his death because he wanted to make a better widget, or because he was driven by passion to solve a great mystery?

This is typically not true of engineers in my experience. Engineers are typically driven by practical concerns.

Likes russ_watters
  • #10,722
Ivan Seeking said:
Controlling our surroundings is secondary.
No, it's not.

For example, a flood can wipe out our crops. Humans panic at the idea of this happening. (Animals usually don't think about what could happen in the future.) So we imagine God did it because He wants to punish us. The solution is to please God such that He does not get mad at us. Humans have now gained control. Our actions can influence meteorology. We are now appeased. It doesn't matter if it works or not, as long as we believe it does.

The scientific method doesn't change anything to the fundamental problem we are trying to solve: Controlling our surroundings.

Ivan Seeking said:
Did Einstein work on his Grand Unified theory right up to his death because he wanted to make a better widget, or because he was driven by passion to solve a great mystery?
If we don't use our imagination to find out how things work, we usually go crazy imagining the worst. The soothing part is always «Now that I understand, I know what to do.» At the very least: «I know everything is how it is supposed to be.»

Call it passion if you will, but evolution says we do this for a reason, out of necessity. Is a cat's passion for chasing mice and birds? Even when they are well-fed they still want to do it.

Also, Einstein could do his thing because others were supporting him financially. Why do you think people pay for others to solve great mysteries? Certainly not because they are little fairies that like to help others fulfill their passion.

Likes Tom.G
  • #10,723
Ivan Seeking said:
For fifteen year old and forever children: it's cool.

I still clearly remember those times when it was all about fractal-generated images. You could not walk down the street without a Mandelbrot coming across.

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #10,724
Rive said:
For fifteen year old and forever children: it's cool.

I still clearly remember those times when it was all about fractal-generated images. You could not walk down the street without a Mandelbrot coming across.
I was trying to make a brain 45 years ago. This isn't a new fad. :biggrin:

• #10,725
Tony Bennett died

• #10,726
It seems just-about $#@ anything I, anyone does, opens up my Android's assistant manager.

• #10,727
The new Barbie movie is being sold as "deep". Perhaps it is better than one would expect. However, I heard one review that claimed the movie shows that life is harder for women than for men. :rolleyes:

Okay, then why do men have about 4x the suicide rate of women {US 2021}?
https://afsp.org/suicide-statistics

Historically, men in the US had a suicide rate almost 10x greater than women. So the poor me crap doesn't wash well.

Likes pinball1970 and WWGD
  • #10,728
Ivan Seeking said:
The new Barbie movie is being sold as "deep". Perhaps it is better than one would expect. However, I heard one review that claimed the movie shows that life is harder for women than for men. :rolleyes:

Historically, men in the US had a suicide rate almost 10x greater than women. So the poor me crap doesn't wash well.
Norah Vincent wrote a book dressed up, pretending to be a man , to have an idea of what it was like to be a man. She says she became suicidal at some point and had to stop. Sure, it's just one book, but it was somewhat controlled.
Edit:
Screenshot_20230722_104859_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230722_104859_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Ivan Seeking and jack action
  • #10,729
Ivan Seeking said:

As someone who's struggled with mental health issues for most of my life, I think it's because of the stigma surrounding mental healthcare, especially for men. We're trained by cultural exposure (media, mentor figures, societal expectations) to suppress our negative emotions, especially sadness. It's seen as a weakness and as, for lack of a better description right now, 'unmanly'. And that leads to a lot of men bottling up their emotions and not having a safe way to either process or release those emotions. Women, on the other hand, are not subjected to the same societal expectations to bottle up their emotions and are allowed to express them freely, as it's seen as a feminine thing.

Think about it. How many men do you see looked down on for being willing to express their full range of emotions? There's a huge amount of pressure to not do that in order to fit the mould of what society thinks a man should be. That's not healthy, and as the suicide rates show, it carries a terrible cost.

Likes pinball1970, WWGD, Ivan Seeking and 1 other person
  • #10,730
Flyboy said:
As someone who's struggled with mental health issues for most of my life, I think it's because of the stigma surrounding mental healthcare, especially for men. We're trained by cultural exposure (media, mentor figures, societal expectations) to suppress our negative emotions, especially sadness. It's seen as a weakness and as, for lack of a better description right now, 'unmanly'. And that leads to a lot of men bottling up their emotions and not having a safe way to either process or release those emotions. Women, on the other hand, are not subjected to the same societal expectations to bottle up their emotions and are allowed to express them freely, as it's seen as a feminine thing.

Think about it. How many men do you see looked down on for being willing to express their full range of emotions? There's a huge amount of pressure to not do that in order to fit the mould of what society thinks a man should be. That's not healthy, and as the suicide rates show, it carries a terrible cost.

Twelve years ago I had gone down a very deep, dark hole, and could no longer imagine a way out. My marriage was a joke. Our dream property became an isolating prison. I was essentially all alone in the middle of nowhere. I was working 100 hour weeks but my business was crashing with the economy; my best friends all died or were lost to booze or drugs, most of my close family members died, and suddenly I found myself completely alone, constantly exhausted, my health failing on multiple levels, and with no hope of being happy again. I planned my own end for months and nearly carried it out. But at the last moment I saw a glimmer of light that gave me an excuse to live a little longer.

I followed that glimmer of hope and found my way out again. But in order to do that, I had to let go of everything I believed about my life - total reckless abandon - and be honest about what I wanted. My solution was primal. And I have spent the years since learning to understand how I ended up in such a bad place, as well as learning how other men end up similar situations. We also had a well-known member here, about my age, who did end his life around the same time as my crisis. And the more I looked, the more I saw other men struggling as I had been struggling. I even found there are common expressions among men such as "I am just waiting to die", or some similarly hopeless comment.

Since my crisis I have been on the most amazing ride of my life - a life I never could have dreamed possible. But I had to hit rock bottom before I could be honest with myself about the life I wanted. I also had to be willing to do what it took to make that life happen. It has required total and continuous dedication. But as I said, the rewards have been beyond belief.

The people who know me best have been urging me to write a book for years now, which I will likely do.

Last edited:
  • Care
Likes Tom.G, pinball1970, Astronuc and 3 others
  • #10,731
Would it be a violation of privacy or of some other sort to mention the other pf member you mentioned who killed themselves?

• #10,732
WWGD said:
Would it be a violation of privacy or of some other sort to mention the other pf member you mentioned who killed themselves?
It was announced but I'm not spotting anything. I may be confusing his name with another similar name, I'll dig around some more later and see what :I can find. Right now I have to get ready for a hot date. :cool:

Likes pinball1970 and WWGD
  • #10,735
Rip Arildno.

Likes pinball1970
  • #10,737
I am sitting here attending a wedding by Zoom. It is the wedding of the young woman [RB] who has been cutting my hair for almost ten years now. She has been my confidant and cheerleader and knows my entire story and all the details of my dating life for the last ten years. :oldbiggrin: In fact she has been my dating coach. I date women who are far too young and beautiful for me so I need all the help I can get! RB has been a fantastic friend. And because many of the women I date are near her age, she can provide great insights.

When I first met RB I was dating the greatest love of my life. I knew I would have to let her go eventually - too young and beautiful to keep forever - but we had three incredible years together. And they were the three greatest years of my life. RB knew better than anyone that I was madly in love and how hard it was to let her go. And she was so sweet. She was just sure my girl would come back to me and never gave up hope.

Likes pinball1970, WWGD and Charles Link
  • #10,738
<rant>
Someone please make a television that automatically sets the volumn during commericals to 10%. The Calm Act was 'supposed' to fix this but it clearly has no teeth.
</rant>

Likes gmax137, Bystander and pinball1970
  • #10,739
Borg said:
<rant>
Someone please make a television that automatically sets the volumn during commericals to 10%. The Calm Act was 'supposed' to fix this but it clearly has no teeth.
</rant>
"The Sweeney," wins that one. Music leading to adverts was nuts.

• #10,740
Borg said:
<rant>
</rant>
Found an example, it is not as loud as I remember it. Outro louder than the intro.

• #10,741
Borg said:
<rant>
</rant>
Many years ago, I actually designed a remote control to automatically do this for me if the volume exceeded a defined limit.; or not really a remote control but a device that used the remote IR TV input to turn down the volume. I copied the signal from my regular remote.

Last edited:
  • #10,742
Speaking of the dating scene, I find the entire tattoo craze to be unfortunate. As far as I'm concerned, you can't improve on the canvas and tattoos are just graffiti.

Likes jack action
  • #10,743
Ivan Seeking said:
Many years ago, I actually designed a remote control to automatically do this for me if the volume exceeded a defined limit.; or not really a remote control but a device that used the remote IR TV input to turn down the volume. I copied the signal from my regular remote.
Did you use a set 30 second timer to restore the volume, or some other trick?

• #10,744
berkeman said:
Did you use a set 30 second timer to restore the volume, or some other trick?
IIRC, at first I just set a down timer and an up timer, along with low and high threshold values. If the volume was less than the lower limit for something like 30 seconds, it started incrementing the volume. If greater than the upper limit for a brief interval, it would start decreasing the volume; proportionate to the overshoot of the high limit.

To make it work perfectly got really trickly. But crude operation was fairly easy, There were still bugs when I threw it out with the old TV. I meant to get back to it but never did because I thought the Smart Sound technology made it moot.

Likes berkeman
  • #10,745
A moot mute?

• Haha
Likes Borg and berkeman