What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 759K views
Ok, Weeknd, Ill shave my beard on another day.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too
Physics news on Phys.org
dlgoff said:
Update:
Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU 70, Miami 49 3:23 to play
KU going to the Final Four wining 76 to 50.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too and BillTre
I don't think any of the places I have gone to (U. of Maryland, Purdue U, U or Oregon, Cal. Berkeley, Caltech) remain in either the male or female playoffs.
0 for 10.
 
BillTre said:
I don't think any of the places I have gone to (U. of Maryland, Purdue U, U or Oregon, Cal. Berkeley, Caltech) remain in either the male or female playoffs.
0 for 10.
:oldcry:
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and BillTre
What's on the opposite side of the Earth from your location?
https://www.geodatos.net/en/antipodes

Or what is the furthest you can go around the Earth from your residence and still be on dry land?

Don't post any personal information or coordinates.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
dlgoff said:
KU going to the Final Four wining 76 to 50.
Dislexics thought the UK was winning.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too
BillTre said:
I don't think any of the places I have gone to (U. of Maryland, Purdue U, U or Oregon, Cal. Berkeley, Caltech) remain in either the male or female playoffs.
0 for 10.
How many degrees do you have?
 
I like the recent sentence I read: She wears a tutu to work. A 222 work.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
My father emailed me his obituary. I didn't realize it at first, since the subject line of the email was obit, so I thought is might be a relative (having just lost an uncle) or some other relative, or friend or family acquaintance. I then opened the attached file and saw that it was his obituary, and didn't think much of it, as he has been talking about adjustments to his will and end of life planning, it was a draft, and I closed the file. :oldcool:

Then I opened the file again and noticed the age. :oops: So, I called him just to be sure he wasn't indicating an imminent demise. He laughed. He's still planning to be around for a while. Although retired, he's writing a book.

Today I realized it's April 1 today. We both had a good laugh.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borek, Klystron and BillTre
I liked the movie ' Golem' but I don't like Dybbuk.
 
WWGD said:
I liked the movie ' Golem' but I don't like Dybbuk.
Have not seen either movie but studied both themes in literature and graphic novels.

Golem rises from mud to protect poor and innocents and serve justice on evil men.
The creators of Superman modeled the man of steel on the rabbi's golem. Impervious to pain. Turns away weapons. Eyes glow red. Energized by righteous anger, a scrawled symbol on its chest.

Dybbuks are reanimated dead people. Too selfish to stay dead, wandering souls inhabit recent corpses, or take over innocent people. Dybbuks take or steal from the living, causing hardship and suffering as they cling to life in the midst of death. Dybbuks can be destroyed but at great cost.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Klystron said:
Have not seen either movie but studied both themes in literature and graphic novels.

Golem rises from mud to protect poor and innocents and serve justice on evil men.
The creators of Superman modeled the man of steel on the rabbi's golem. Impervious to pain. Turns away weapons. Eyes glow red. Energized by righteous anger, a scrawled symbol on its chest.

Dybbuks are reanimated dead people. Too selfish to stay dead, wandering souls inhabit recent corpses, or take over innocent people. Dybbuks take or steal from the living, causing hardship and suffering as they cling to life in the midst of death. Dybbuks can be destroyed but at great cost.
It was a double mea
Klystron said:
Have not seen either movie but studied both themes in literature and graphic novels.

Golem rises from mud to protect poor and innocents and serve justice on evil men.
The creators of Superman modeled the man of steel on the rabbi's golem. Impervious to pain. Turns away weapons. Eyes glow red. Energized by righteous anger, a scrawled symbol on its chest.

Dybbuks are reanimated dead people. Too selfish to stay dead, wandering souls inhabit recent corpses, or take over innocent people. Dybbuks take or steal from the living, causing hardship and suffering as they cling to life in the midst of death. Dybbuks can be destroyed but at great cost.
You've overestimated me with an interesting and erudite comment in response to my attempt at a ( groan-worthy) pun " The movie and the book(Dybbuk)" I got a similar response when I referred to Chris Rock's (supposed) relative "The"( The Rock).
 
WWGD said:
It was a double mea

You've overestimated me with an interesting and erudite comment in response to my attempt at a ( groan-worthy) pun " The movie and the book(Dybbuk)" I got a similar response when I referred to Chris Rock's (supposed) relative "The"( The Rock).
Oh! Needed to read that thrice to grasp your attempted pun. De Book. Double mea funny.

You are mispronouncing dybbuk though I do not speak Yiddish. Closer to "dib" not "dee" AFAIK,
and a hard "buck" not soft book or butch sound. Guess pronunciation depends on locale.

A sixty's SF novel turned dybbuk into a verb. Wealthy dying oligarchs forced their minds into young healthy people. The rich dybbuk the poor.

The first part of a Coen brother's movie, set in a shtetl, features a dybbuk. An old reb dies of cholera but does not realize the disease killed him. Merriment ensues as the ghost resumes his duties visiting a young married couple.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Klystron said:
Oh! Needed to read that thrice to grasp your attempted pun. De Book. Double mea funny.

You are mispronouncing dybbuk though I do not speak Yiddish. Closer to "dib" not "dee" AFAIK,
and a hard "buck" not soft book or butch sound. Guess pronunciation depends on locale.

A sixty's SF novel turned dybbuk into a verb. Wealthy dying oligarchs forced their minds into young healthy people. The rich dybbuk the poor.

The first part of a Coen brother's movie, set in a shtetl, features a dybbuk. An old reb dies of cholera but does not realize the disease killed him. Merriment ensues as the ghost resumes his duties visiting a young married couple.
Ok, maybe this is more fitting:
" How about Aaron Spelling?"
A,A,R,O,N.

P.S: Still considering that play(let):
What do you want, Sir?
Chicken over Rice
Over Rice, or Over Ice?
etc
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Interesting experiment, using Netstat, before, after logging in and opening up certain programs.
 
WWGD said:
Ok, maybe this is more fitting:
" How about Aaron Spelling?"
A,A,R,O,N.
TORIble Spelling (tolerable or terrible), Aaron's daughter.
WWGD said:
P.S: Still considering that play(let):
What do you want, Sir?
Chicken over Rice
Over Rice, or Over Ice?
I'll take beans and rice and everything nice!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Klystron said:
TORIble Spelling (tolerable or terrible), Aaron's daughter.

I'll take beans and rice and everything nice!
Or:
Aaron Spelling?
Didn't know Aaron had a Pelling (Aaron's Pelling)
But her acting is arguably Torible.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Don't you just love it when Watford lose yet another match, your girlfriend moves back to Poland, and you have to spend your Saturday night doing a three hour Maths exam because your supervisor forgot to send it earlier in the week. :oldmad:
 
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
ergospherical said:
Don't you just love it when Watford lose yet another match, your girlfriend moves back to Poland, and you have to spend your Saturday night doing a three hour Maths exam because your supervisor forgot to send it earlier in the week. :oldmad:
S/he deserves the Will Smith treatment.
 
Ok. Workshop, not pork chop. I make that mistake every time when I'm hungry.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
They've now come up with Hummus mixes with sweet flavors, like chocolate or apple pie. Not sure I'm ready to make the leap ( and not gag).
 
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
WWGD said:
They've now come up with Hummus mixes with sweet flavors, like chocolate or apple pie. Not sure I'm ready to make the leap ( and not gag).
Ugh x 2
Hummus contains fresh garlic. Love garlic but not with sweets.
"Is nothing sacred?", screamed like Charleston Heston in final scenes of Soylent Green.
 
Klystron said:
"Is nothing sacred?"
No, nothing is.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
I can see "Dolce or Gabbana" being a thing, but "Dolce if and only if Gabana " is definitely a fake.
 
ergospherical said:
Casanovas of physics forums (if that’s not an oxymoron), what are some quirky but cute date ideas for cheap?
A friend (female) of mine once said to me, we were both singles at the time and discussed a relationship when we would have been old, "Let's face it. A relationship is nice. But a brothel is cheaper."
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto
fresh_42 said:
A friend (female) of mine once said to me, we were both singles at the time and discussed a relationship when we would have been old, "Let's face it. A relationship is nice. But a brothel is cheaper."
So, can you at least suggest a cheap brothel in the Oxbridge/Cambford area?
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too, Klystron, BillTre and 2 others