What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Documentary channel? Discovery? Hope not the History channel, since it jumped the shark a while back.fresh_42 said:It's on Comedy Central here and the channel is next to a documentary channel I often watch. So it happens that I look at it from time to time.
- 20,819
- 28,467
A German one.WWGD said:Documentary channel? Discovery? Hope not the History channel, since it jumped the shark a while back.
LCSphysicist
- 644
- 163
I miss believing in God. So much
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,805
On a more serious note, veteran Russian diplomat to the U.N. Office at Geneva, Boris Bondarev, has resigned in protest to Russia's aggression in Ukraine. He handed in his resignation before sending out a scathing letter to foreign colleagues inveighing against the “aggressive war unleashed” by Russian President Vladimir Putin in Ukraine.
https://apnews.com/article/russia-u...and-politics-2019b1448217f57e68d2b18b6727bf99
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...lomat-in-geneva-resigns-over-ukraine-invasion
https://apnews.com/article/russia-u...and-politics-2019b1448217f57e68d2b18b6727bf99
“In 18 years, he (Lavrov) went from a professional and educated intellectual … to a person who constantly broadcasts conflicting statements and threatens the world with nuclear weapons!” he wrote. “Today, the (Russian) Ministry of Foreign Affairs is not about diplomacy. It is all about warmongering, lies and hatred.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...lomat-in-geneva-resigns-over-ukraine-invasion
Yeah - now would not be a good time for him to return to Russia.Asked whether he had asked for asylum outside Russia, he said: “I think that if someone offers to help in this difficult situation, I think it would be very gratefully accepted.”
As to returning to Russia, he said that “would not be a very good idea right now”.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,480
- 2,231
If you can't read the image clearly, there's a Wikipedia article: In Pursuit of the Unknown: 17 Equations That Changed the World.WWGD said:
- 20,819
- 28,467
A tv ad gave me a good idea. They spoke about vegan chicken. I think I will join: vegan chicken and vegan cattle. But I don't think I will bother what the pigs ate.
- 13,926
- 16,804
I didn't think chickens ate meat, eggs or cheese anyway.fresh_42 said:They spoke about vegan chicken.
- 20,819
- 28,467
It was probably a meat substitute product. But I found it funny, since chickens are vegan anyway.Ibix said:I didn't think chickens ate meat, eggs or cheese anyway.
- 20,819
- 28,467
The whole epidemic started when they started to sell beer without alcohol. And I don't mean root beer.WWGD said:Me, I eat just the best: Gluten-free chicken.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,856
- 12,708
Chickens are omnivores. They will eat worms and bugs and whatever they can catch. Its a big bonus for them if they are free range.
Even cattle if they only ate grass could easily ingest some bugs in the grass by accident.
Digesting bugs would be easier than digesting grass.
Even cattle if they only ate grass could easily ingest some bugs in the grass by accident.
Digesting bugs would be easier than digesting grass.
Science Advisor
- 1,567
- 5,226
“Americans will do anything not to use the metric system”
https://www.accuweather.com/en/space-news/potentially-hazardous-asteroid-7335-near-earth-may-27/1190523
Asteroid the size of 350 giraffes to fly past Earth this week
The UK should know better.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...size-giraffe-strikes-Earth-coast-Iceland.html
Asteroid half the size of a giraffe strikes Earth off the coast of Iceland – just two HOURS after it was discovered by astronomers
https://www.accuweather.com/en/space-news/potentially-hazardous-asteroid-7335-near-earth-may-27/1190523
Asteroid the size of 350 giraffes to fly past Earth this week
The UK should know better.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...size-giraffe-strikes-Earth-coast-Iceland.html
Asteroid half the size of a giraffe strikes Earth off the coast of Iceland – just two HOURS after it was discovered by astronomers
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,805
Simple Ways to Get Carpenter Bees to Stop Remodeling Your Home, None of the tips involve extermination
https://www.popsci.com/diy/get-rid-of-carpenter-bees/
It's some I have to deal with at home. We have a deck with wood framing, and carpenter bees have found a home. I'll end up sealing the wood.
https://www.popsci.com/diy/get-rid-of-carpenter-bees/
It's some I have to deal with at home. We have a deck with wood framing, and carpenter bees have found a home. I'll end up sealing the wood.
HomogenousCow
- 736
- 213
Was experimenting with numerically inverting functions in mathematica and decided to use it to plot the heat capacity of a free bose gas:
Isn't it kind of odd how the heat capacity exceeds the classical value of 3/2 around the phase transition?
Isn't it kind of odd how the heat capacity exceeds the classical value of 3/2 around the phase transition?
- 20,819
- 28,467
That's one of my weaknesses, too, making false assumptions from what appears to be obvious. A day before, however, I asked and have been asked whether we queue for the same service or not.WWGD said:What is it with these freaks hanging out by the bathroom, who are not waiting? I waited for 30 minutes the other day thinking they were in line.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Yes, it's reasonable to just ask. I guess I was just being lazy.fresh_42 said:That's one of my weaknesses, too, making false assumptions from what appears to be obvious. A day before, however, I asked and have been asked whether we queue for the same service or not.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Just curious what you, others here think about coffee-shop reading or studying, vs libraries, quieter environments.fresh_42 said:That's one of my weaknesses, too, making false assumptions from what appears to be obvious. A day before, however, I asked and have been asked whether we queue for the same service or not.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Guess we have to find an Austrian to answer this.WWGD said:Just curious what you, others here think about coffee-shop reading or studying, vs libraries, quieter environments.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viennese_coffee_house
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Or finding an Austrian coffee house. Id even gladly live in one.fresh_42 said:Guess we have to find an Austrian to answer this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viennese_coffee_house
- 20,819
- 28,467
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/random-thoughts-part-6.875108/page-121#post-5983165WWGD said:Or finding an Austrian coffee house. Id even gladly live in one.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Pretty amazing you remembered a post you made 4 years back.fresh_42 said:
- 20,819
- 28,467
'Aljechin' is a thankful search key and I remembered the anecdote.WWGD said:Pretty amazing you remembered a post you made 4 years back.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I think people would read more, more often if public libraries looked more like Viennese coffee houses.fresh_42 said:Guess we have to find an Austrian to answer this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viennese_coffee_house
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2